XP Home Logon Loop (1 Viewer)

JellyC

Local time
Today, 00:10
Hi,

I am new to this but here is my problem...

Problem One

Doh! My PC decided that it could not boot, i tried many different things within the recovery console to make it work, then after a few chkdsk /r attempts it let me in but only in safe mode.

I then (like a fool:confused:) copied the lastgood folder off my second install of windows. This then got me in a terrible mess as now when i get to the logon screen i enter my password and it says loading settings,,, but,,, nothing it just goes back to the logon screen and waits for me to enter it again, the bigger problem is that now even when i try to get into safe mode it does the same loop.

Problem Two

My overall problem now is that my machine will boot with my new install but although all of my program files are still there it does not recognise any of them.

Conclusion

So i suppose my question is (if anyone has read this far) can i make my new install recognise my old programs OR alternatively does anyone know how to get my first install to stop looping?

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks,
JellyC

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:10
Oops - from what you say you have 2 version of XP installed ! - that's asking for trouble.

But we should be able to get the first version sorted. Do you have an full XP disk if so boot up with this disk in (you may need to got into the BIOS to set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device).

You'll then need to do a Windows repair instructions here

This will repair all windows system files - but you will loose any updates you have installed.

Try that first then post back if it works, I can then guide you through removing the other version (you do get, on boot, 2 Windows version to choose to start ?)

Oh and welcome :D

JellyC

Local time
Today, 00:10
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i have two choices at start, the first is the one that works and the second is my original version from when i bought the PC. I want to access this one but it has the loop problem.

The XP disk i have is the 'Product Recovery CD-ROM' that came with the PC. The disk only lets me install windows. I did this but it now shows two lots of windows on my HDD. I can read all the files and everything from my old installation but cannot logon to it from booting.

I do have another disk that will give me the option of using recovery console?

I was hoping there was a way to replace the files that enable me to logon by copying them over maybe?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:10
Hi,
I do have another disk that will give me the option of using recovery console?

Sorry is that a question or a statement ? If you have a disk that you can get to REPAIR option then follow the instructions above.

I was hoping there was a way to replace the files that enable me to logon by copying them over maybe?

As I've said not easily essentially what you have done is create not another login but another installation that has different credentials and permissions

The XP disk i have is the 'Product Recovery CD-ROM' that came with the PC.

I detest these but you 'should' be able to do a repair using any full XP disk. (I say should sometimes it depends on the manufacturer - my disclaimer :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom