Wrap text in the Header columns (1 Viewer)

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:52
I'm new to MS Access and this forum. This may be a silly question but I cannot find answer anywhere: can I wrap text in the header columns of a table in Datasheet view as shown in the attachment?

BTW, I cannot make the column width wider because I want to display as many columns as possible.

Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Q_wraptext.JPG
    Q_wraptext.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,336

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:52
Don't think you can do this in datasheet view, datasheet is setup to look just like a table, and has similar limitations to a table when it comes to formatting. Why not try a tabular form, then you could set column header width and heights seperately from the columns where needed.

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you very much for the quick response. Tabular form doesn't look as "neat" as a datasheet. We're transferring from Excel, and my users are expecting to see something looks like a spreadsheet...

But I'll go with tabular form if there's no better solutions. Thanks again.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Another possibility is to use aliases for column headings. So, instead of, say:
SalesTotalsFor2007 you can use an alias in the query design like this:
SalesTots07:SalesTotalsFor2007
Then it will be SalesTots07 that appears on the datasheet view. When referring to that column from outside the query you'll have to use the alias name of SalesTots07.

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, Libre, but I want to display full text in the column headings.

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
True, at first but if you work at it you can make it look close to the same as a datasheet. It just takes some work.

Here is the best I can do with Tabular form. It's pretty good though. Thanks for all helps.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,691

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
But now I get another problem. I'd like to freeze the most left column, and it seems that I cannot do it in tabular form. I have to use datasheet view for this feature.

This is so bad...Excel can do it like a snap. I've spent a lot of time on this small thing. Is there anybody can help me out of here?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
But now I get another problem. I'd like to freeze the most left column, and it seems that I cannot do it in tabular form. I have to use datasheet view for this feature.
How have you tried to freeze it?

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
How have you tried to freeze it?

Well, I mean it's easy to do so in Datasheet view. Just right click the column and choose "freeze columns", but I can't do it in tabular view.

It seems that I cannot get them all. For wrap text header, I have to use Tabular view; for freeze column, I have to use Datasheet view. Is it typical of MS softwares that you can have some features in each part but you'll never have them all in one place? :mad:

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
From Access Help section

"Note The FrozenColumns property applies only to tables, forms, and queries in Datasheet view."

Doesn't sound like this is an option in tabular view.

My 2 cents:
I've helped several departments at different companies transition from Excel to Access, and the biggest mistake I made early on was trying to design Access to work like Excel. They are different tools for different jobs and don't work the same because they aren't MEANT to work the same. I know users don't like change and fear having to learn something new, but in the end designing an Access form to work like a spreadsheet is not the desired approach, because users will then start asking you for Excel like functions in the form, ever tried to do a Vlookup in an Access Form? Just my two cents:)

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
From Access Help section

My 2 cents:
I've helped several departments at different companies transition from Excel to Access, and the biggest mistake I made early on was trying to design Access to work like Excel. They are different tools for different jobs and don't work the same because they aren't MEANT to work the same. I know users don't like change and fear having to learn something new, but in the end designing an Access form to work like a spreadsheet is not the desired approach, because users will then start asking you for Excel like functions in the form, ever tried to do a Vlookup in an Access Form? Just my two cents:)

You're right. I'll give it up. Thanks.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Emulate the datasheet view with a form. Wrap headers to you life's content.

WilliamQian

Registered User.
Local time
:)Finally my solution is to add a duplicate column of what I wanted to freeze to the right side. It's not perfect but it works. The idea came from my boss.

Still, it would be perfect if ACCESS can wrap text in the Headers in Datasheet view...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom