ShellExecute question (1 Viewer)

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:17
Hi all,

I'm finally down to my last hangup on this database that I'm working on. I just wanted to thank everyone here that helps out, the discussions here have helped me more then I could have imagined as I knew absolutley nothing about access or vba.

Ok, now on to question at hand. Right now I have a module that basically opens a MS Word doc, and prints it from a button on a form. However I would like it to drop something from a textbox called "txtWorkOrderID" on that form at a bookmark I have set on the Word doc. The bookmark is called "WO". Here is the code I am working with now.

Option Compare Database

Option Explicit

Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Public Function Test()
On Error GoTo Err_Test

'Open file
ShellExecute 0, "Open", "file:///G:\Bulletin Board\UP Billing Flags\UP 1.2 - Health and Safety Plan.doc", "", "", 1

'Print file
ShellExecute 0, "Print", "file:///G:\Bulletin Board\UP Billing Flags\UP 1.2 - Health and Safety Plan.doc", "", "", 0

Exit_Test:
Exit Function

Err_Test:
MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
Resume Exit_Test

End Function

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Just thought I would bump this up and see if anyone could lend a hand. Thanks.

GolferGuy

Registered User.
Local time
You need someway to comunicate with Word from Access or someway to pass a parameter to Word. It looks like the string you are using to open and then print this Word document has a parameter in it called lpParameters. If that is the Command parameter that Word uses, then in VBA within Word you can retrieve that using the Command() function. At that point, have your VBA in Word find the "WO" bookmark and insert the string passed through the parameter there.

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Ugh..that seems pretty tricky for me having no real knowledge of VBA, other that what I have borrowed from here. =)

Is there a simpler way of doing what I explained?

GolferGuy

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry Mitch, but you are right, that is "a bit tricky." Actually, it's more than just a bit tricky. The first time I ever tried something like this it took at least a couple of days. There are quite a few things to learn, understand, and then a lot of trial and error. Now it would only take a few hours, like two to four hours. My suggestion is to weigh the worth of having this be automatic as you are requesting, vs. the cost of getting a consultant to code it for you. It's beyond the time I have to give.

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
I hear you. Thanks for the pointers. I'll see what I can do!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
You would need this (set a reference to Microsoft Word first though):
Code:
Dim appWd As Word.Application
Dim wdDoc As Word.Document

Set appWd = New Word.Application
appWd.Visible = True
Set wdDoc = appWd.Documents.Open("G:\Bulletin Board\UP Billing Flags\UP 1.2 - Health and Safety Plan.doc")
wdDoc.Bookmarks("WO").Select
wdDoc.ActiveWindow.Selection = Me.txtWorkOrderID
wdDoc.Save
wdDoc.Close
appWd.Quit
Set wdDoc = Nothing
Set appWd = Nothing

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks a ton Bob. Only thing I'm getting when I try to run the code is "invalid use of Me keyword". Any idea there?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Where did you put this code? I assumed it would be on the form that had txtWorkOrderID on it. If it isn't then you would need to fully qualify it:

Forms!YourFormNameHere.txtWorkOrderID

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, I'm using this code, so far it works great. I added something to print as well, but I don't want it to save any changes and somewhere it is telling it to do that.

appWd.Visible = True
Set wdDoc = appWd.Documents.Open("G:\Bulletin Board\UP Billing Flags\UP 1.2 - Health and Safety Plan.doc")
wdDoc.ActiveWindow.Selection = Forms!frmGWO1.txtWorkOrderID

ShellExecute 0, "Print", "file:///G:\Bulletin Board\UP Billing Flags\UP 1.2 - Health and Safety Plan.doc", "", "", 0

appWd.Quit

Set wdDoc = Nothing
Set appWd = Nothing

End Function

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Put this before the appWd.Quit:

wdDoc.Close False

that should close it without saving the changes.

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Is there something here:

That is telling it to save and close?

I got a "The object invoked has disconnected from its clients" Automation error at

wdDoc.Close False

MrMitch

Registered User.
Local time
Sweet, I fixed it by just using this instead.

Function UP2()

appWd.Visible = True
wdDoc.ActiveWindow.Selection = Forms!frmGWO1.txtWorkOrderID
wdDoc.PrintOut
wdDoc.Close False
appWd.Quit

End Function

Thanks for all your help again Bob. Much appricated

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Glad I could help. I would have stepped in sooner but was very busy at work when you posted the original post.

shwetha

Local time
Today, 11:47
can u give me the difference between Shell and ShellExecute...

Is it correct...that In shell command have to specify .exe file first and next the file which is to be opened or executed

And in ShellExecute command,it ditermines first the file extension and then opens that file calling that particular application

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom