unable to save database properties (1 Viewer)

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:23
Hi,
I have two possibly related things that have recently begun happening in nearly all of my databases. (Access 2002, Windows XP)

1. For years I have been using shortcut command lines like the following to open my databases:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp d:\databases\PCAMain97sys.mdw m:\pcamain\public\access2002frontends\vikchamaster\setupwheel.mdb /excl

All of my databases use the same mdw file. Up until recently this command line has always prompted me for my login and password. Now, it doesn't. Not only that, but once I'm in the database, if I go to tools-security-workgroup adminstrator, the indication is that I am NOT joined to the PCAMain97sys.mdw workgroup that I requested.INstead I remain joined to whichever workgroup I was in before; it's like hte /wkrgrp command line option now has no effect.

2. From file-database properties, I try to change the title of the database. But I get error "..unable to save the database properties". Web search shows this is probably db corruption, but... on every one of my databases???

OK, upon reading what I just wrote, it seems likely that my mdw file is corrupted....? Any other ideas?

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 06:23
Until your last line, I was going to suggest that the MDW was corrupted, but it seems as though you've figured that out. Additionally, Access may not have closed properly at some point and you may not have exclusive access to the DB, at which point you wouldn't be able to do things like rename the DB or change other properties. Make sure there's no LDB file sitting in there when the DB and Access are closed. If there is, delete it. Finally, with Access closed, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and go to Task Manager and see if there's an entry called MSACCESS. (You can click on the Image Name header to sort if you like.) If there is, select it and click End Process.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:23
OK, now I'm trying to repair my mdw file.... but how? My mdw file is still in Access 97 format, and when I try to open it, it says I don't have permission to convert it.

I don't really use the Access security in any meaningful way and have been meaning to un-secure my db's for a long time. Maybe the time has come. But actually, everything seems to be working OK as is, except for the fact that I can't change the db titles. So unless there are any other ideas, I'll probably put it off for awhile longer...

shurman

Local time
Today, 04:23
I had a similar problem in Access 2000: Access refused to save database properties. I googled it, and this page came up...

After some playing around with my secured database, here is what I found:

1. One can modify database properties only when logged in as 'Admin'. Other users who are granted exact same permissions to the database and all objects CANNOT modify the db properties for some reason.

In order to login as 'Admin' you need to know the password; if you don't know it, you can reset it for this or any other account (there is a 'Clear Password' button).

2. My login prompt pop-up disappeared after I cleared the password for the 'Admin' account. After that, the database automatically logged me in as 'Admin' without the ability to log in as another user. In order to make the prompt appear again, I had to set a new password for the 'Admin' account under [Tools]>[Security]>[User and Group Accounts]>'Change Logon Password' tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom