Time difference calculation (2 Viewers)

Lance R Peck

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:37
I want to calculate the difference in time between two fields to get a duration.

Start time 01:10:53
Stop time 01:20:05
Duration 00:09:12

How can I achieve this? Or can I?

Neal

Registered User.
Local time
You use the DateDiff function.
In the text box where you want
the duration to appear, enter this:
=Datediff("n",[Start time],[Stop time])

The "n" stands for minutes. "s" is seconds, "h" is hours. You can find the complete list under DateDiff Function in Help.

manishmeta

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:07
Hi,
I am new here. I have a query.
I have a table with many fields in which 2 fields take time values (strt and end time) and 3rd duration field that records the datediff("N", strt, end) i.e diff in minutes.
How to write a code to put those in form I have a form linked up with that table.
In what event I should write this code
duration.text = datediff("n", end.text,strt.text)
I have not done anything like VBA enabling or macro. I dont know how to proceed.
I am new in access but have basics of VB 6.0.

Quick reply is awaited.

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Manishmta

1. Go into form design
2. Right click the field Duration
3 .Click the Data tab , and control source should be at the top.
Then Just enter the formula provided by Neal .

Your field names seem odd to me as the .text is a VB 6 requirement. unless that is the name of your field you only require to

=Datediff("n",[Strt],[end])
Hope this answers your question

manishmeta

Registered User.
Local time
ypma:

I tried it but its not working. I have two text boxes namely ot (field name:eek:pentime) and ct (fieldname: closetime) wherein I enter two times and want the data to be recorded in 3rd text box namely duration (fieldname : duration) but the formula gives the output as
=[Duration]=DateDiff("n",[CloseTime],[OpenTime])
#Type!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Not the whole text just the formula
=DateDiff("n",[CloseTime],[OpenTime])

Brian

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Providing your text box are date /time. in the control source of the duration all you need is

=DateDiff("n",[CloseTime],[OpenTime])

manishmeta

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. The error let me check the type, it was not date/time ( duration). Even, after changing the datatype stills the same error. :(

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Ah! You can get misled if you join a thread part way through as I did.
Datediff will just return an integer of the value of the type requested eg minutes, or seconds etc.

I now see in post 1 you want more than that in which case you will need a user function. If you search you will find one which I think will return a string of the form you require.

Brian

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:37
That is where I got my help.

Use DateDiff() to calculate the elapsed time. It returns whole numbers only, so if you want hours and fractions of an hour, you must work in minutes. If you want minutes and seconds, you must get the difference in seconds.

Let's assume a date/time field named StartDateTime to record when the employee clocks on, and another named EndDateTime for when the employee clocks off. To calculate the time worked, create a query into this table, and type this into the Field row of the query design grid:
Minutes: DateDiff("n", [StartDateTime], [EndDateTime])So, what am I missing?

fosh4a

Local time
Today, 12:37
That is where I got my help.

Use DateDiff() to calculate the elapsed time. It returns whole numbers only, so if you want hours and fractions of an hour, you must work in minutes. If you want minutes and seconds, you must get the difference in seconds.

Let's assume a date/time field named StartDateTime to record when the employee clocks on, and another named EndDateTime for when the employee clocks off. To calculate the time worked, create a query into this table, and type this into the Field row of the query design grid:
Minutes: DateDiff("n", [StartDateTime], [EndDateTime])So, what am I missing?

Hello. Solved same problem.
RideTime: DateDiff("n";[RideStart];[RideEnd])
";" instead of "," worked for me.
Best Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom