How To run Access database without having to install Access on user PC's (1 Viewer)

R32chaos

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
I think there is a module/utility that can be associated with an Access database so that the end users will not need Access installed on their PC's to run the database.

I have seen it done, I just dont know how...any help will be very much appreciated...

Thanks in advance... :)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:41
I don't think you have seen it done. You can install the runtime version of Access, the availability of which varies between versions, but an Access application will always run under Access. Of course you could write a front end in VB or something which used Access for the data, and that wouldn't need Access installed, but I don't think that's what you meant.

odin1701

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:41
You can either use the Access runtime or you can write a VB program.

R32chaos

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your responses...

The runtime version seems to be what I am thinking of.

Can you please shed some more light on how to obtain the runtime version of Access, and can a pre-existing database utilize runtime?

I am working with Access 2002 and may upgrade to Access 2003.

Thank you!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You also need to be aware that when using the runtime engine, your application must use complete error trapping because any runtime errors will simply drop the user out of the app. You also need to provide custom menus and a completely form driven interface.

R32chaos

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you pbaldy & Pat Hartman!

I will look into it asap. I guess you are right, everything has to be form driven and no access will be available to any design portions. This is the intended goal.

once again, Thank You!

esb1922

Local time
I have C# app which uses Access as a backend. When I make setup project as is (just letting VS2005 to create all dependencies), install it on PC with no Access installed on it, and then run the app, I get
"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=0x964 (2404), Thread ID=0x4e0 (1248). OK to terminate, CANCEL to debug."

Should I include Access runtime into my setup (VS2005 doesn't like when I add mdao15.dll and msjro.dll into setup project)?

esb1922

Local time
I actually installed Access 2007 runtime on the PC without Access - same error

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom