Open Office - Base Database (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:39
Eventually, I plan to move over to LINUX. A problem with that is converting my ACCESS databases a LINUX friendly database. Open Office has BASE as a database. Anyone have any advice on what would be a good LINUX database?

Local time
Today, 17:39
MySQL along with a Java or PHP front end.

I believe Banana, one of our AWF VIPs has experience with BASE and he (she?) didn't have kind words about it. Same member also has experience with MySQL with an Access front end.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Thanks for the reply. It's going to be a while before I fully jump into LINUX.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 15:39
Yep.

I would prefer Kexi over Base, (which I consider a bastard version of FilePro- OK if you don't mind datasheet entry and absolutely no scripting [well, it does support scripting; only that you have to pay someone else to do it for you].)

But Kexi isn't even there yet. I *absolutely* love the Kexi's concept- it indeed does what Access does, and with Python!!! Way cool! But it's not *clean* enough that an user can pick it up and work away without getting weird bugs.

While I think Linux is a necessary component of today's OSs, I will not recommend it as a desktop OS for anyone except hardcore geeks who has hours and hours to waste; as a server (I run a Slackware server) it's great.

Also, you may want to check WINE as a mean of running Access atop your Linux. Last time I heard, they got Office to work reasonably well under WINE.

Best of luck.

George-

I believe bananas are referred to as 'it', aren't they? :p (I'm a he, BTW but thanks for liberating women! :D)

Local time
Today, 17:39
I believe bananas are referred to as 'it', aren't they? :p (I'm a he, BTW but thanks for liberating women! :D)

OK, I'll call you "it" (reminiscent of The Addam's Family).

I was so embarassed when I called Pat "he" a month or so ago that I always like to cover my bases.

ortaias, in light of what Banana has said, you might want to consider developing your front end in Access, unless you just want to do this all in pure Linux. I have avoided Linux as a desktop because of the usability issues and I'd consider myself pretty high up in the geekdom world. I just don't have time to fiddle with it.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
I was so embarassed when I called Pat "he" a month or so ago that I always like to cover my bases.

If it's any consolation, I made exact same mistake when I was a newbie here.

Yes, you nailed it- linux simply costs too much in terms of time to be really viable as a desktop OS. Hopefully, they will get there, as I'm big on having competition. Access sure could use some serious competition, IMO.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Again thanks for the feedback. Especially the reference WINE.
One thing with Windows, it's "ruined" my ability to use the command line!:)

I have UBUNTU on a test computer, now I've to begin experimenting with it. So far it has been really nice. It even recognized my printer connected to a WindowsXP computer on our home LAN. I had expected a major configuration issue with SAMBA.

sidharth

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks george Its really a nice article and cool links which you posted here good job and thanks again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom