Solved 2003 can no longer edit forms. Error 2004. Decompile etc no joy. please help. (1 Viewer)

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:30
Hi all,

This is driving me mad. A fairly simple Access 2003 application has been running at a few sites with no real issues for over 3 years. Its a split application and one of the offices reported that they couldn't open one of the forms. Their particular version of Access is 2003 runtime. The form in question doesn't have much code in is purely to edit simple contact details.

The process I followed was this:
1: Checked a version here all OK. Form opened as expected.

2: Took a copy of his data and compacted it. linked it to my client and it FAILED. Err "2004 There isn't enough memory to perform this operation."

3: Reverted to my original data and the form FAILED again. Same err message.

4: Tried to open form in design view FAILED. "There isn't enough memory to perform this operation..."

5: Tried other far more complex applications no failures at all.

6: Standard compact & repair. Tried to open form FAILED. Same error.

7: Decompiled both client and data. Tried to open form FAILED same error.

What gets me is now the client on my machine that was working fine before I used the other offices data now doesn't work with whatever datafile i use? Any ideas?

8: Called the head office who have a slightly different version of the same application. They emailed the client and data to me. I set it up and worked fine.

9: Changed the data source of the head office application to that of the original culprits. FAILED same error.

10: Changed back to the head office original data and FAILED.

11: Replaced both client applications for offices and head office and linked both to original data sources. Both FAILED.

12: I tried exporting the problematic form as a text file and the same error message comes up.

13: I tried deleting and importing another version of the form and again FAILED.

14: I ran the original set up files and put the application on a laptop I have here (with runtime license) and it worked.
I updated the data to the original data I have here and it worked fine as per before I started on this mission. I am reluctant to try using the problematic data source on this machine as I am sure it will cause mayhem on that too.

It seems that once the file I received from the other office is attached to the application its b*****d.

I have spent the afternoon trawling the net and found nothing that has helped.

It seems that replacing the problematic client and data source with backups here doesn't make any difference. It seems that once the data file I received this morning is attached to the database its lot has had it.

Is it something that has buggered up Jet or what?

Any advice gratefully and warmly welcomed here please. I'm up the proverbial creek sans paddle at the moment.

all the best,

Dan

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:30
Any chance you use the following line of code in your project?
DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveYes
Have you tried importing your mdb into a new mdb and then C&R?

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Hi thanks for the reply.

Seeing as the code is the only thing I can get at (If I start in another module and search ) I have just checked and no I don't have a line like that. I do have DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmContacts_EDIT"
I have tried removal all the code and the same problem occurs.

I tried to both export and import and get the same error message "Not enough memory..."

I'm confused why this application will work on any other machine until I attach the tables from the "Corupt" backend. I can revert to the original and the client application retains the error. It seems to me that once this problem occurred it has remained flagged.

I just noticed something else interesting. When I open this application my media player stops and splutters. As if the memory is actually struggling.

Tomorrow I am going to install full Access on another machine that has the application working fine under a runtime licence. Then on that machine I am going to decompile, export and rebuild both client and data and see if that makes a difference.

Though I am still bemused why once the error occurs I can't revert to an older version of both data and client to eradicate the problem.

thanks again.

Dan

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
'tis a puzzlement -- as the saying goes. Even though your application is split, do you have any tables in the FrontEnd that get modified for the local environment?

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
it is isn't it.

No there aren't any local tables in the front end. It was purposely kept simple due to it's distribution to about 30 offices. It's behaved well for the last 3 years or so with minor issues. There are references that get set on first run (word & Office) but apart from that it's really run of the mill.

It's just popped into my head whilst I type this (you think you remember it all don't you) that actually I did have this issue with the same application at another of the companies offices. I un-installed and re-installed the users runtime in a remote support session. This cured the problem in this instance after I had "brought the data home" and repaired it, and updated the client end to no avail. What is different this time is the fact it's messed up my end so to speak.

I'll install Access 2003 full tomorrow on the laptop and see what happens there. I don't think it would do any harm to run the office CD through the version on my main machine and see if that picks up anything unusual.

Thanks again RG (I just spotted the for short)

Dan

Last edited:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I believe there is a Service Pack for the RunTime as well as the full version. You may want to look at that possibility as well. Keep us in the loop and good luck.

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
cheers RG,

Yeah I thought the same and was something I had considered earlier and whilst in the process of writing down my fault finding process I neglected to write that down. Something along those lines makes more sense in my mind.

I shall definitely post back. Nothing more frustrating than searching for an answer, finding a thread previously existed and then the trail goes cold!

It's getting late now and a cool beer calls and tomorrow this will get fixed!

thanks again,

Dan

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:30
One thing I didn't see you try already (apologies if I missed it) is to create a new blank database and import everything from the misbehaving database.

Sometimes this can fix corruption issues.

Oh, and be sure to turn off AutoCorrect before you do the import: Allen's opinion on AutoCorrect.

It may have or have not factored in your present issue, but it's best to be safe.

HTH.

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
RG, yep I have had one delivered to me by my lovely wife which is all good. However stirred by your comment on service packs I have just had a quick look at what has recently been installed on this machine.

MS OFFICE 203 SP3

and this article relating to it with reference to Access 2003. Though I will have to read that tomorrow as my eyes are calling time on the screen use.

Banana, thanks for reply too. I have tried to export and import the application to a shiny new database but the form I can't open won't import or export and I get the same memory message. This is something I am going to try with the laptop once I get the full version of Access 2003 on it.

Interesting point about the autocorrect. I've avoided this on all recent applications but a quick check shows it was more than alive on this application. I have unchecked it and tried to export following a C&R. Again it will factor into tomorrows fun and games.

Thanks good people. I'm gonna like it here I feel!

Dan fuelled by beer n fear.

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Aha! I haven't tried it yet but I see that in the above mentioned article the hotfix should fix the problem I have experiences. So this looks like becoming my new game plan for tomorrow AM.

I want to try it now but I think in haste would be foolish on tired eyes n brain!

I'll let you know how it goes.

enjoy your day,

Dan

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:30
It was RuralGuy who first brought my attention to the problem with AutoCorrect. :)

Just another idea- you could at least try and import everything minus that problematic form then make a new form and C & P the controls & code. See if it helps. Or at least rebuild that form. Better than re-inventing the whole wheel. :)

Enjoy the beer for now! :)

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Banana, yes that will be the final way to do it. I would like to find out why first ,if at all possible. Then if there is something I am still doing wrong after all these years then I can correct my ways, or at least stand a chance should I fall down this very same hole again.

(That and the differing versions or the need to update the 30 odd offices)

I really really am off for that beer now.

cheers and thanks again,

Dan

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Quick update. I haven't had the opportunity to progress this further as yet. Something exciting for me on Monday morning to look forward to...

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Today is the day... I also had an email from another office with the same application. They have the same issue. interesting as this application has been solid for a number of years and now 3 offices have the same issue...

I shall let you know once I do.

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Sorted!!!

Hi guys thanks for sticking with this one. Here's my update of the fixed problem.

Further back I mentioned finding and article on the effects of of OFFICE SP3 on ACCESS. Here it is again if you missed it. This was my first port of call in sorting the problem and it proved to be the right choice.

This basically outlines some issues you may experience with Access 2003 after running service pack 3 and the hotfix you can install to rectify. One of these mentioned the error message I was getting in association with .adp files.

I downloaded the hotfix and installed it on the machine where I experienced the problem. Bingo problem has gone away.

Next step. Tomorrow I will be speaking with the other offices to determine when we can run a remote support session and go through the same process. Which was.

1: Check Office SP3 is installed.
2: If so Download hotfix.
3: install hotfix.
4: Check works.
5: Perform an elaborate celebration around the office.

I will report back on this once the other offices have been played with...

Thanks again for being a damn good sounding board and I hope this proves useful to anyone else about to prematurely go bald or grey.

Cheers,

Dan T

Dan_T4

Registered User.
Local time
Office No 2 sorted

Ran a support session with another office. They had the Office SP3 install on the 4 Aug and noticed the problem the day after... Bit of a clue there...

Hotfix sorted there issue out too.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom