IIf and Is Not Null not working (1 Viewer)

irish634

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:36
[SOLVED - sort of] IIf and Is Not Null not working

I have a combo box on my form that will filter my query criteria. In my combo box, I have the selection "<All>" to allow all data to show. I put this statement in the Query criteria box:

IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",Is Not Null,[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category])

If I select <All> from the combo box, the query returns no data.
If I select an alternative selection (that is in the table) then the query returns the data.

The error is obviously in the "True" part (Is Not Null). But when I use Is Not Null by itself, I get all the data.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
try

IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",<>"",[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category])

mondo3

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:36
if you're using the iif statement below to create a text string that goes into a query, i would think that you would need to put quotes around "Is not null".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a combo box on my form that will filter my query criteria. In my combo box, I have the selection "<All>" to allow all data to show. I put this statement in the Query criteria box:

IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",Is Not Null,[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category])

If I select <All> from the combo box, the query returns no data.
If I select an alternative selection (that is in the table) then the query returns the data.

The error is obviously in the "True" part (Is Not Null). But when I use Is Not Null by itself, I get all the data.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong?

irish634

Registered User.
Local time
try

IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",<>"",[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category])

Tried that.

if you're using the iif statement below to create a text string that goes into a query, i would think that you would need to put quotes around "Is not null".

Tried that too. Though when you put quotes around it, I believe it is actually looking for the string "Is Not Null" in the field and not all records that are not null

Now if I substitute an actual selection from the combo box the query works as expected. So the error definitely seems to point to the Is Not Null within the Iif statement.
Ex:
IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>","Atlas",[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]) returns all records containing Atlas

I've even tried:
IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",,[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category])
thinking I might be able to leave the criteria blank.

I've also tried the reverse to no avail:
IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]<>"<All>", [Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category],Is Not Null)

Thanks for the thoughts. Any other ideas while I go back to searching?

Last edited:

mondo3

Registered User.
Local time
could you show me the entire code sentence?

try:
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Category " & IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>","Is Not Null","=[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]") & "'"

irish634

Registered User.
Local time
could you show me the entire code sentence?

try:
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Category " & IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>","Is Not Null","=[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]") & "'"

SELECT [txt_JobID], [txt_JobCategory], [txt_JobStatus]
FROM tbl_JobTracking
WHERE ((([txt_JobCategory])=IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",Is Not Null,[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]));

I did try it with quotes around Is Not Null. When I do that it actually looks for the string "Is Not Null" in the field. It does not return all fields that are not null.

mondo3

Registered User.
Local time
try to build it like a string as in my example. so:
strsql= "SELECT [txt_JobID], [txt_JobCategory], [txt_JobStatus] FROM tbl_JobTracking
WHERE ((([txt_JobCategory]) " & IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>", " Is Not Null "," = [Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]" ))

irish634

Registered User.
Local time
No matter how I tried this in the criteria section, it wouldn't work. But, I got it.

Instead of putting the IIf statement in the criteria section of the query design, I had to add another column in the query and add this:

Expr1: IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",[tbl_JobTracking].[txt_JobCategory] Is Not Null,[tbl_JobTracking].[txt_JobCategory]=[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category])

Then I had to set the criteria to True

So the SQL looks like this:
Code:
SELECT [txt_JobID],[txt_JobCategory], [txt_JobStatus], IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",[tbl_JobTracking].[txt_JobCategory] Is Not Null,[tbl_JobTracking].[txt_JobCategory]=[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]) AS Expr1
FROM tbl_JobTracking
WHERE (((IIf([Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]="<All>",[tbl_JobTracking].[txt_JobCategory] Is Not Null,[tbl_JobTracking].[txt_JobCategory]=[Forms]![frm_JobList]![cbo_Category]))=True));
It's very ugly, but it works.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom