Continuous forms text box enlarge with text (1 Viewer)

oxicottin

Learning by pecking away....
Local time
Today, 07:37
Hello, Is there a way I can make the text box on a continuous form fit the text for that record its showing and if the next text in the next record is smaller then it would fit that as well? Just like it would for a report. Also the box would enlarge vertical not horizontal in size.

Thanks,
Chad

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
While I suppose you could write a hack in code to resize the textbox, depending on the font size and number of of characters in the data, if RecordA has 10 lines of data and RecordB has 2 lines, when RecordA is the current record and the box is sized for 10 lines, the textbox on RecordB and on all other records will be sized for 10 lines as well!

Formatting of controls on Continuous Forms, unless it can be done using Conditional Formatting from the Format menu, means that the formatting is applied to all instances of the control.

The usual workaround for a control on a Continuous Form thats sometimes has a little data and sometimes a lot is to use the Zoom command, placed in the Double-Click event for the textbox, allowing the user to expand the box if need be.

oxicottin

Local time
I was going to try the zoom but what would be a nusence is every time I wanted to see more of the text I would have to zoom the box. Im going to have to show these records in a report instead. This a search form that shows records in a continious row.

Thanks for the advise!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:37
screen real estate is limited in a way that isnt the case on reports.

with forms, theres always a design decison/tradeoff between showing showing more data/losing other fields, or finding some other way to display the data (multi-page forms, tab controls, sub forms, popups)

i often make the real field lockied/not enables and then have a transparent overlay button, over fields like this - when clicked I open a popup form to see and edit all the text

the best solution might be to ask your users what they want.

oxicottin

Local time
I posted the same qestion in Microsofts Forum and someone sugested the flex grid. Here is an example.

Attachments

• Flex grid.zip
    640.5 KB · Views: 743

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom