Inner Join Not Supported (1 Viewer)

JustPunkin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:16
I'm in the process of writing a query to search for multiple attributes of our projects.

I've been able to write the code to run the query for all of the information I need that is in my main table. I now need to add a bit of code to search for some information that is in a secondary table. The tables are linked by a key number.

I can get this to work if I search criteria in one or the other table, but not in both. I get an error "Runtime Error 3296 Join Expression Not Supported"

This is the beginning of my code. Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Code:
Private Sub cmdOK_Click()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim strSQL As String
Set db = CurrentDb
Set qdf = db.QueryDefs("qryMechFeatureSearch")

strSQL = ""
strSQL = strSQL & "SELECT [Mechanical Features].*, [General Project Information].*"
strSQL = strSQL & "FROM [Mechanical Features] "
strSQL = strSQL & "INNER JOIN [General Project Information]"
strSQL = strSQL & "ON [Mechanical Features].[Key #] = [General Project Information].[Key Number]"

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:16
Watch your spacing from line to line. As written, you'll end up jamming things together which will confuse Access.

JustPunkin

Registered User.
Local time
Watch your spacing from line to line. As written, you'll end up jamming things together which will confuse Access.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean (I'm a relative novice at this)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:16
Given this:

strSQL = strSQL & "SELECT [Mechanical Features].*, [General Project Information].*"

with no space after the "*" or before "FROM" the concatenated string will be

[General Project Information].*FROM [Mechanical Features]

which Access will not be able to interpret because the asterisk and FROM are run together.

JustPunkin

Registered User.
Local time
Given this:

with no space after the "*" or before "FROM" the concatenated string will be

[General Project Information].*FROM [Mechanical Features]

which Access will not be able to interpret because the asterisk and FROM are run together.

Thanks. I will take a look at that in the morning and see if that solve my problem!

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm in the process of writing a query to search for multiple attributes of our projects.

I've been able to write the code to run the query for all of the information I need that is in my main table. I now need to add a bit of code to search for some information that is in a secondary table. The tables are linked by a key number.

I can get this to work if I search criteria in one or the other table, but not in both. I get an error "Runtime Error 3296 Join Expression Not Supported"

This is the beginning of my code. Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Code:
Private Sub cmdOK_Click()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim strSQL As String
Set db = CurrentDb
Set qdf = db.QueryDefs("qryMechFeatureSearch")

strSQL = ""
strSQL = strSQL & "ON [Mechanical Features].[Key #] = [General Project Information].[Key Number]"

It looks like you are missing some spaces (highlighted in RED below). Add the spaces and see if the problem goes away. The code you supplied interprets itself to the following:
Code:
strSQL = SELECT [Mechanical Features].*, [General Project Information].[SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]*F[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]ROM [Mechanical Features] INNER JOIN [General Project Information[SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]]O[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]N [Mechanical Features].[Key #] = [General Project Information].[Key Number]

NOTE: Consider changing the names of Table/Column/Report/Form/etc that use special characters. Normal characters for these items are Alphabetic Characters (upper and lower case), Numeric Characters, and a small subset of other characters including "." and "_".

ADDENDUM: I see that while I was called away for an impromptu meeting, pbaldy pointed out the same thing that I did, so the primary advice must be right. Don't forget the Note at the end.

Last edited:

JustPunkin

Registered User.
Local time
It looks like you are missing some spaces (highlighted in RED below). Add the spaces and see if the problem goes away. The code you supplied interprets itself to the following:
Code:
strSQL = SELECT [Mechanical Features].*, [General Project Information].[SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]*F[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]ROM [Mechanical Features] INNER JOIN [General Project Information[SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]]O[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]N [Mechanical Features].[Key #] = [General Project Information].[Key Number]
NOTE: Consider changing the names of Table/Column/Report/Form/etc that use special characters. Normal characters for these items are Alphabetic Characters (upper and lower case), Numeric Characters, and a small subset of other characters including "." and "_".

ADDENDUM: I see that while I was called away for an impromptu meeting, pbaldy pointed out the same thing that I did, so the primary advice must be right. Don't forget the Note at the end.

Thanks.

I would love to change all the table/field names, but this is an old database, and it's been linked to so many other databases, I'm not really willing to make those changes.

It's a pain in the you know what, but the folks who did the database creating weren't thinking too far in the future.

But, thanks again for the advice.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:16
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

strSQL = ""
strSQL = strSQL & "ON [Mechanical Features].[Key #] = [General Project Information].[Key Number]"[/CODE]
Atleast your are disambiguating (using DAO.) and using something to 'properly format' your SQL, using this
strSQL = ""
strSQL = strSQL &
One could almost thing you read one of my posts about SQL formatting in code.... One of my pet peaves :rolleyes:

JustPunkin

Registered User.
Local time
Atleast your are disambiguating (using DAO.) and using something to 'properly format' your SQL, using this
strSQL = ""
strSQL = strSQL &
One could almost thing you read one of my posts about SQL formatting in code.... One of my pet peaves :rolleyes:

I did read one of your posts :D

I'm trying, folks, I'm trying. See, I'm a mechanical designer, the extent of my programming knowledge is LSP - it's just different in here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom