Access 95 on XP Pro (1 Viewer)

Geoff Stone

Local time
Today, 23:59
I have been using Access 95 for 12/13 years with no problems, though they are mainly simple applications - nothing clever. I have just upgraded from Win98SE running with 192MB RAM to XP Pro with 2GB RAM. When I try to run Access it comes up with the message 'Out of Memory'. Clearly this harks back to the old Extended DOS memory, current at the time. I have tried to run EMM386 before running Access but it doesn't work (I think EMM386 fails, but it doesn't give any error messages).

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to allow this to run under the newer memory systems? I have of course ticked Win95 Compatibility.

Geoff

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:59
I had to change out of A95 when I got XP but my problem was different.

On XP home some forms would not open unless Control Alt Delete was pressed and then they would open after maybe 10 or 15 seconds. Once opened they could be then closed and opened as normal.

On XP Pro the Control Alt Delete would do the trick. Enter A2003. There may have been other issues but I did not go any further due to the form issue.

Using Win95 Compatibility caused a lot of other problems but I can't remember if it solved the form problem.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Access 97 is stable on XP and Vista. I don't know about 95 as 97 sorted out a lot of issues.

Simon

Geoff Stone

Local time
Mike,

Thanks for comment. When I first installed Access95 to my new PC, when I clicked on MSAccess.exe I got the normal opening panel with the Access logo, version number and licensed to - my name. Above that is a small panel with the 'Out of Memory' error message. If I clicked on a .mdb file I had the message something like 'There is no licence on this machine' which was untrue. So I reinstalled it again with the licence /serial number as before and now it just does nothing if I click on the database.

I am interested that you did not get the 'out of memory message' - even though I know you had the forms problem. I wonder how our set-ups differ. Mine is version 7.0.0.4 was yours later?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I just remember it be Version 7. My busness partner also had A95 and his situation was identical, although he uses what I make.

But as I said the only problem I had was opening forms. In fact when we got XP Home I inluded a lot of extra forms in my startup and some of those of those forms would then be closed at the end of start up. We would hold down Ctrl Alt Delete while it ran. But for some reason it did not affect all forms. But Ctrl Alt Delete would not do the trick on XP Pro.

As Simon_MT has mentioned A97 is different and for practical purposes you could regard A97-A2003 the same. If you intend to develop your DB you will need to move out of A95 as some coding is different. I had to change a lot when moving to A2003.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
I didn't bother with Access 2003 and went straight from 97 to Access 2007. I believe that the only two quantum changes to Access were Windows on DOS to 95/97 and now Access 2007. The former was more fundamental and the later more superficial - it has a much better user interface. I never used 95 and waited for 97 I had a few very minor errors 97 to 2007ADO vs DAO but that was about it.

There is an Access 2003 upgrade evaluation tool on the web and both give conversion errors.

Simon

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
There was no A2007 when I changed.:D

Office 95 had conversion problems to A97 and that was the reason I stayed with A95. Of course some of that might be different if I was doing it today as that was 10 years ago and obviously I knew even less then than I do now:)

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
There is one issue certainly one issue with 1997 on both XP and Vista, there are Office Service Packs that need to be installed but come a cropper over some True Type fonts. There is a form is an error on the handling on SubForms and allowing edits. I know that this is 97 but it was the only issue I had, save for the one pixel that Aero theme uses as a border and I had maxed the screen and end ended up with the scroll bars appearing.

Simon

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Simon

From what I have observed on the forum, based on answers and success, it appears A97 to A2003 seem OK together and with A2007 the different look is the difference. The only connection I have had with A2007 is using the Runtime version and so far that is all OK with A2003 .mdbs

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, that maybe the case. I don't use runtimes but use have used a Terminal Server more or less like a application server for remote users.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom