Question Runtime Error 3349 Numeric Field overflow on linked table (1 Viewer)

v3rse

Local time
Today, 10:22
Hi,

I want to import a CSV file into an Access 2003 table. The CSV file have around 53 000 different customer entry. When i do it with the table in the same database, no problem, eveything goes as planned.

As soon as i split my database (so the table become linked) and i run the same code, i get the error in topic.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thanks for your help!

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:22
Do you understand what the Numeric Field Overflow means? It means you are attempting to put a number in a field that is larger than the field can handle. ie: Integer fields and Single Floating Point fields are suspect. I would not be concerned about linked vs internal at this time. Access might have been helping too much with the Internal table. What version of Access are you using?

v3rse

Local time
I'm using 2003 version. I think i'm just gonna show users how to use the import wizard since it's also working using that but that make the apps less user friendly than i would.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
You defined the table in advance right? Are you using any Integer or Single fields?

v3rse

Local time
The table been created from a first import of the file, there only 2 numeric field formated as Long interger, those 2 field cant excess 8 number in each (restriction from the apps providing the data)

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm...does not look like the source of the problem unless the incoming data is invalid.

Mark Harley

Local time
Today, 15:22
Hi,

I want to import a CSV file into an Access 2003 table. The CSV file have around 53 000 different customer entry. When i do it with the table in the same database, no problem, eveything goes as planned.

As soon as i split my database (so the table become linked) and i run the same code, i get the error in topic.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thanks for your help!

I had this same problem with a linked .csv used in a 'make table' query, in Access 2003. Th 'make table' executed perfectly the first time after the table was linked, but returned a "Numeric Field Overflow" error on subsequent occasions.

However changing the name of the linked file, and then changing it back again solves the problem.
If you are using a 'make table' query, you'll need to delete the previous version of that table before renaming/unrenaming.

I'm using a simple three-action macro to do this (triggered by a form command button, just before the 'make table'):
1. Delete [table_made_by_make_table_query]
2. Rename [linked_csv -> linked_csv_fix]
3. Rename [linked_csv_fix -> linked_csv]

Hope this helps!

v3rse

Local time
Thanks for the answer, my solution was simply to create import specification that i use in the macro and it fixed eveything.

davemc1969

Local time
Today, 07:22
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have several Excel files as linked ta bles in Access. Did this so users do not have to alter the way they do business. Majority of the time on my machine (soiunds just like a programmmer I know) it works fine. Occasionally I'll get an error 3349 or file is locked by another user. I simeply run it again and it works fine. Other users get the error 3349 error more often. They will run it and 2 times it will work no problem and otehr timess it will give the same error just referencing a different file. Trying to find a way to fix this fast. Any suggestions are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom