Misleading error msg "missing or broken refenece to the file "MSO.DLL" version 2.4" (1 Viewer)

access0808

Local time
Yesterday, 21:19
Misleading error msg "missing or broken refenece to the file "MSO.DLL" version 2.4"

I consistently got the following error message:

missing or broken refenece to the file "MSO.DLL" version 2.4

I also googled with the above error message and got almost the consistent solution: download and install MSO.DLL library.

This solution does not fix my problem. I have MSO.DLL exists. The error msg is "lying":-(

The front end (fe.mdb), back end (be.mdb) databases, security file se.mdw all are located on the network, let's say \\server1\production. Regular users access the database from their desktops ok.

I copied fe.mdb from production folder to testing folder \\server1\testing while keeping the same database link. Regular users don't have any permissions to this testing folder. Made changes in a form. The testing copy runs fine in the testing folder.

I copied the revised fe.mdb back to production folder. If the computer logs in as my own account, it is okay. If the computer logs in with aother regular account, it complains mso.dll is missing.

I checked registry the path to mso.dll was correct and the file exists.

I put the old fe.mdb back. It runs fine for all accounts and does not complains missing mso.dll.

I verified the file permissions and user groups okay between the old and new fe.mdb.

What's the trick to fix it?

I appreciate any hint or suggestion.

- Monica

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:19
Re: Misleading error msg "missing or broken refenece to the file "MSO.DLL" version 2.

What version of Access? Each user should have a copy of the FrontEnd on their local machine. I like this article by Tom Wickerath.

access0808

Local time
Re: Misleading error msg "missing or broken refenece to the file "MSO.DLL" version 2.

What version of Access? Each user should have a copy of the FrontEnd on their local machine. I like this article by Tom Wickerath.
Thank you very much Mr. RuralGuy!

It's Access 2003. Thanks for your referred link. It has lot's information I have been looking for. There is no straight answer to my problem, but I believe it points me to some direction.

I do not place a front end copy on each user's desktop. Instead I placed one copy to the network. As there are only handful users, it is not a big deal regarding performance. Another reason is pretty simple: make updates easy and fast over time.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time

I do not place a front end copy on each user's desktop. Instead I placed one copy to the network. As there are only handful users, it is not a big deal regarding performance. Another reason is pretty simple: make updates easy and fast over time.
That is no excuse. Doing it like you are, is like playing Russian Roulette with your frontend. It is not a matter of IF it will corrupt, but only of WHEN. As for updates, all you need is to have something like my Free Frontend Auto Update Enabling tool which can enable your frontend for auto updating and then you make your changes in the master, change the version numbers and then the next time your users open their copy, if the versions don't match it will give them a message that their frontend is out of date, close it, delete it, copy the new one from the master location, and automatically reopen for them.

You can find that tool here:
http://www.btabdevelopment.com/main/MyFreeAccessTools/tabid/78/Default.aspx

jamesftai

Local time
Yesterday, 23:19

Installing the Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack solved this problem for me. I cannot explain why but I have used this on multiple PC's and it resolved the problem on all of them.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time

Installing the Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack solved this problem for me. I cannot explain why but I have used this on multiple PC's and it resolved the problem on all of them.

Probably because it REGISTERED MSO.dll on them. The file could exist on a machine but if it isn't registered correctly then it won't be available and it would have a "missing reference."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom