Why is my question unanswered? Why is my problem unsolved? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 02:49
This is a long thread, but it is pieced together in sections, so if the title applies to your situation on this forum, please read through this to understand why it might apply. The opinions expressed in this thread are explicitly my own, and it does not speak for anyone else who participates in helping others on this forum. The sections of this thread have two subgroupings as "headings", Attention Getters & Time Wasters. The first one means you did a good job with the subject matter at hand, and the chances that your purpose of being here will be fulfilled. The second one means you need to do more work, and that your purpose will most likely lack fulfillment, whatever you are here for.

********************THREAD TITLES********************

Titling your thread appropriately is the first step to even having someone view your problem and description. Here are some thread titles (or any derivations thereof), that will get you nowhere:

Time Wasters
**HELP (with)...
**It doesn't work

**Newbie Here...
**(ANY SORT OF SPAM)

**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**Can I do...?

**Inexperienced. Need help with...
**SENTENCES THAT ARE UNNECESSARILY LONG IN NATURE

**Complicated Issue...
**JUST THE NAME OF ANY control or object in Access (e.g. - "list box")

**This is not working...
**THE TITLE (or catchphrase) OF YOUR SPECIFIC APPLICATION

**ANYTHING FOLLOWED BY (A) QUESTION MARK(S) (e.g. - Customized Ribbon?????)
**ONE WORD TITLES (unless they can narrow the issue down, like: RunTime Error 13

**ANY TITLE WITH THE WORD "Homework" IN IT
**ANY TITLE WITH THE WORD "Deadline" IN IT

Here are some thread titles that are worth attention:

Attention Getters
**RunTime Error (error number)

**Query returns wrong records when...
**ANY SPECIFIC ERROR MESSAGE GIVEN BY ACCESS

**SPECIFYING WHICH ACCESS VERSION YOU ARE USING
**Seeking advice on how to attempt...

**Unexpected errors/changes from VERSION to VERSION
**ANY GENERALITY, followed by "Please see thread for details"

********************INTRODUCTIONS********************

No thread introduction of yourself or your experience is necessary.
Here are some introductions that will lose interest right away in your thread:

**Hi! I am new here...
**Newbie here...

**I have this issue...
**Please forgive me if I sound stupid...

**I am new to Access...
**Writing "LOL" in the middle of describing the history of how you got to your predicament.

**DO NOT DESCRIBE HOW YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE IF YOU CAN HELP IT...
**I don't know if this is possible, but...

**URGENT!!! (then you should have posted it earlier, sorry!)
**I am in school, and for our assignment...

**Hello from (YOUR COUNTRY)!
**I hope someone can help with this... (SO DO WE!)

**Can you help me?
**ONLY IF YOU EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM...

The only introduction needed, and one that does not waste time is this:

*Windows Version
*Access Version

That is good enough. NOW, what do you need help with?

********************TELLING YOUR STORY********************

Any of the following "snippets" found in your problem description might cause a click of the "logout" button due to boredom of reading your story that does not pertain to the problem at hand:

**I inherited this database and the person before did this...
**You wouldn't believe how long this took to do! Wow!

**I am almost finished with... (GOOD FOR YOU! WHAT'S YOUR QUESTION?)
**RAMBLING ABOUT OTHER PROBLEMS THAT FASCINATE YOU, BUT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR QUESTION.

**SPEAKING IN GENERALITIES
**ASKING ADVICE THAT CONFLICTS WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS OF YOUR BOSS.

**ASKING ABOUT TECHNIQUES THAT CAN BE USED TO VIOLATE THE LAW, OR EVADE THE LAW.
**Looking forward to an answer...

**Anxiously awaiting a response...
**I would have done this myself, but... (STOP MAKING EXCUSES!)

**TELLING US WHAT THE ANSWER IS, OR PROBABLY IS (if you know, DON'T POST)
**TELLING US THAT YOU THOROUGHLY SEARCHED THIS FORUM FOR AN ANSWER WHEN A ONE-WORD GOOGLE SEARCH WOULD GIVE IT TO YOU ON THE FIRST HIT.

**ARGUING WITH SOMEONE HERE AS TO WHY YOU ARE RIGHT WHEN YOU ARE STILL EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR METHODS.
**CREATING A LAUNDRY LIST OF QUESTIONS THAT EVOLVE FROM THE ONE THAT WAS INITALLY ASKED OF US (e.g. - "now that you have solved that problem, I have another problem... - start a new thread)

**BEGGING FOR HELP

********************CODE********************

Here are some hints when posting code or SQL. Violating these principles might just yield no response for a very long time, or for that matter, EVER:

**ALWAYS use code tags. (Highlight the code and push the "#" sign at the top of the message window (Go Advanced) or wrap the code manually with:
Code:
your code
)

**INDENT your code! No indentations with code blocks makes it impossible to read!

**NEVER copy and paste your code from one application to the message window. I don't care if it DOES looks perfect. That is an absolutely horrible habit to get into.
**If you have a lot of code that you want to post, take the time to indent it, space it out, and mark the problem areas accordingly. If you don't, it shows you are lazy. Moreover, we aren't going to do it for you.

**If the code is in an error state, HIGHLIGHT THE LINE THAT IS THE PROBLEM! DO NOT write or reference it in the description. ;) That helps more than you know!
**Do not post code that you have not tested, or that you are not currently working with. That wastes time for both parties. It takes up space too!

**Be aware that the embedded window that houses code on this site (or any site that is powered by VBulletin for that matter, I think) has fixed horizontal and vertical lengths. Find out what they are, and space your code out so we don't see that annoying horizontal scroll bar. The vertical one is inevitable, if you have a lot of code, but scrolling horizontally is a HUGE turnoff for readers.
**Don't just ask, "what's wrong with this code?"

**Don't post code if you don't have to. Our own applications are difficult enough to comprehend when we write them. Sifting through code is a real pain in the "you know what!"
**If you talk about code in your description (especially for Access forums), use the terminology! Action, Variable, Method, Constant, API Call, Procedure, Function, Loop, Class, etc...

THIS IS ALL JUST SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE, even myself. The main reason for this post is to bring to the attention of everyone here that this is a free service for those willing to help others in need. Also do realize that questions DO go unanswered, and this is not the solution page for your problem(s). Questions go unanswered for many reasons:

People are busy! We are tired of answering questions! We had a bad day and don't want to deal with it! We are sick of looking at computers! And anything else that may come up. If you don't get what you want from this site, don't be offended. Try back another day. :)

(Hopefully) as a helpful member of this forum:

Signed: Adam (Former Anonymous User)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom