How do you Declare a Variable as a Query (1 Viewer)

bconner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:58
I have a couple queries that for some reason someone started the names out with an *, well the TransferSpreadsheet function doesn't like the * in the Query name. How do I Declare a variable as a Query?

Thanks

evanscamman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:58
I don't really understand your question, but it is common to use an asterisk in queries as a wildcard.

Here are two common uses:

1. "Select tblItem.*" will add all fields from tblItem to the query.
2. "Where tblItem.ItemName Like "*" & .... " - the asterisk is used as a wildcard in the Criteria.

Evan

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
What error are you getting? Maybe try putting the query name in brackets [query]

bconner

Registered User.
Local time
I have a query named "*90JJ AR by Rej" when I run the DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet function it will transfer the query to Excel however when I open the Excel workbook it opens with an Error saying something like some information is unreadable, so it opens as a recovered workbook. Well it turns out that the DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet doesn't like it when the name of a query contains an asterisk because I renamed the query without and it worked. Basically I want to know what the sytnax is for declaring a variable as a query example below:

Dim NewQueryName as String ?? Is this correct
NewQueryName = "*90JJ AR by Rej" setting the variable = to the Query name is this correct??? Basically instead of changing the name of all of the queries I was going to change the name by assigning them to variables and passing the variable to the DoCmd.TrasnferSpreadsheet function.

evanscamman

Registered User.
Local time
Here are two different ways you could do this:

Code:
Dim strQueryName as String, qryDef as QueryDef

strQueryName = "MyQueryName"
Set qryDef as CurrentDb.QueryDefs(strQueryName)

Or

Code:
Dim qryDef as QueryDef
For Each qryDef in CurrentDb.QueryDefs
    Docmd.TransferQuery qryDef   .... or however this command goes    
Next

Hope this helps,
Evan

bconner

Registered User.
Local time