CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application") leads to "Automation Error" (1 Viewer)

redherring

Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application") leads to "Automation Error"

Hi there.

I have an Access Project that interacts with a web browser to perform several functions. We actually open a browser session in 1 of 3 ways:

1. Dimensioning a variable as type Hyperlink and using [variablename].address and .follow
2. Creating an ActiveX control on a form of OLE Class "Microsoft Web Browser" and setting it's value via code as [controlname].Navigate (URL)
3. Using createobject("internetexplorer") to interact with a browser session "silently" or invisibly in the background

I recently upgraded my PC to IE8 and all attempts to utilize the 3rd method above now result in an "automation error". (Truthfully, all attempts to utilize any of the 3 methods above results in an "automation error" if my default browser is set to IE.)

So, my question is... has something changed with IE8 that is causing the problem, or is it just "coincidence" and the real cause of the problem actually lies elsewhere?

Thank you in advance.

redherring

Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
Re: CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application") leads to "Automation Error"

Just in case anyone out there is spellbound by this post [insert sarcasm here] it would appear as if I cannot blame IE8 for this one. At least not all on its own. I have successfully loaded and run the application in question on another PC running Access 2003 and IE8.

So, the problem is PC specific. It's still a problem though.

There are no visible missing references, which would be an easy fix.

Any other thoughts?

The problem PC is one that was recently reformatted. It's running the same OS as the one that works (XP Pro) but clearly "something" is different.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom