When I open a table, how do I sort by multiple columns? (1 Viewer)

hellind

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:52
Office 2003

When I open a table in datasheet view, how do I sort by multiple columns?

In other words, I want to achieve the same effect as "Select * From
Order By Column1, Column2, Column3 ASC"

hellind

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:52
  1. Step 1
    Realize that Microsoft Access sorts multiple criteria by first sorting the column to the left. The column immediately to the right of that column is sorted next. To begin your multiple criteria sort, you must first arrange your columns in this order. In the sort-by-names example given above, the column containing the last names should come before the column containing the given names.
  2. Step 2
    When the columns are arranged, click on Records menu, then Filter, then Advanced Filter/Sort. A window appears.
  3. Step 3
    Select your sort criteria. By clicking in the first field of the first column, a small menu marked by an arrow will appear.
  4. Step 4
    Click on the arrow to access a list of all column (field) titles. Select the first column you want to sort by. In the text box directly below, select the sort order that you want (ascending or descending).
  5. Step 5
    Repeat these steps for the second and any additional fields that you want to sort by.
  6. Step 6
    When your criteria are selected, click Filter, then Apply Filter Sort. You return to your original view with the records sorted according to the multiple criteria you established.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:52
Step 1 is false, this is only true on the SORT/filter screen, you dont need to do this in your table.

This is exactly the same as your select statement,
Select * doesnt denote any order in columns yet Order by does, this is exactly the way access works.

TY for answering your own question though :)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:52
if you open the table directly though - you can do this quickly

a) move the columns to get the ones you want continuous
b) select them all
c) click A-Z to sort ascending/descending

alternatively, use a query based on the table, and set sort criteria there - that way the columns dont have to be contiguous

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom