Why I hate America (1 Viewer)

bennyhill

Local time
Today, 09:47
America is a democracy at war with the whole world. After the cold war I thought they would settle down, but now the new enemy is international terrorism.

Since the end of the Spanish-American War 1897 the US has been invading, occupping and installing right wing dictators. The worse part is diplomacy is seen as a "weakness", although "winning" Vietnan or Afghanistan is just a Republican myth.

Am I the only one who sees things the way they are?;)

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 00:47
America is a democracy at war with the whole world. After the cold war I thought they would settle down, but now the new enemy is international terrorism.

Since the end of the Spanish-American War 1897 the US has been invading, occupping and installing right wing dictators. The worse part is diplomacy is seen as a "weakness", although "winning" Vietnan or Afghanistan is just a Republican myth.

A couple of corrections you might want to go back and fix:

occupping should be occupying
Vietnan should be Vietnam

Local time
Today, 02:47
You're a funny man, Benny Hill.

And your political advice is just about as good as all the funny men in the US.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Interesting thing I've noted. Almost all of the "complaints" never include constructive suggestions on how things could be better. There are only negatives and no attempt at finding anything positive. Do you think that might be a symptom of what is wrong with the world?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time

Everyone - has their own personal reasons it seems.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:47
The spelling and grammar would have been correct if it were:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time

God dammit Benny! Don't you remember your state school history lessons, surely you must remember that America's intention was always to bring freedom and democracy to its enemies? How you can post such anti-American, unpatriotic rhetoric is, well, just beyond me......................

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
I'm offended....

Not by anything said here but just generally :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I am bored on here, but if I have something to say then I use my own login name.

Anyway, I don't necessarily agree with the original poster.

America has made mistakes (as have the British). America and the UK maybe still are, in Afghanistan - who knows, time maybe will tell.

Col

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The truth is, a lot of us see the problems in our own country with great sadness. We know we have many problems. We know we cannot expect the world to like us. But we learned some lessons by watching others try different tactics that failed miserably.

Appeasement is merely slow surrender. Remember Clement Atlee? (not sure of the spelling)

Looking the other way sacrifices the person who is the focus of attention. Remember the Holocaust?

The problem we have is that there are too many places to look and sometimes you need to do diplomatic triage to decide who gets an ambassador and who gets the cluster bomb. There is a part of me that says "Oh what a STUPID choice was made." (And yes, talking about my own diplomatic corps, military, etc.) But there is another part of me that says, "That is a tough call and I'm glad I don't have to make it."

We have had to face a difficult economy. We cannot afford to send troops everywhere because there are too many places where such troops would be warranted. From the news we get here, the Darfur region needs to have military intervention, but that is another quagmire waiting to happen. Haiti needs our military, too - but not the soldiers. They need our military construction batallions to help clear the rubble. But those guys are busy as well.

I know it seems to some folks that the USA is still poking its nose where people think it should not be, but from our side, it seems that we are slowly pulling back from trying to do everything for everybody. That way lies poverty and national bankruptcy. I know that if I were "king of the world" I wouldn't have a clue as to how to solve the problem popping up everywhere. We might still feel a moral imperative, but so much changed after the 9/11 disaster that I believe we are still feeling the ripples. And probably will for years to come.

Col, Rich - you guys bash the USA sometimes. I object to some of it, but now and then you guys are right. Some of the decisions made by the previous president were so far out as to make me check for cheshire cats, white rabbits with pocket watches, and red queens with attitude in the vicinity.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Appeasement is merely slow surrender. Remember Clement Atlee? (not sure of the spelling)

I feel sorry for poor Clem, if we had gone to war earlier we would have been slaughtered, we nearly were anyway, I have read some historians who say that he knew it was inevitable but was buying time for us to prepare.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
As leader of the opposition Clement Attlee was opposed to appeasement from 1937 onwards. The prime minister in favour of appeasement was Neville Chamberlain

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My bad. It was longer than I thought since I read that article. OK, apologies to Mr. Attlee.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:47

Looking the other way sacrifices the person who is the focus of attention. Remember the Holocaust?

Oh man, this is a tough one - Having spent a great deal of time reading about the 1st & 2nd World Wars, there is no easy answer to this - I guess you had to be there at the time.

WW1 - Having gone through the horrors of trench warfare (60,000 killed in 2 hours at the Somme!) those that survived went home to: The Great Depression (some reward!)

To me, it is not surprising that
A) you would do anything to avoid another war
B) be surprised if anybody turned up for it

And now an ANZAC (Australia & New Zealand Army Corp) perspective:

Our 1st contibution to world conflicts was Winston Churchill's disasterous plan to invade Turkey, with insufficient planning & medical back up - not surprisingly, we got slaughtered, but managed one of the great evacuations (no one killed) in military history. Most bizarre, is that disaster is now the most important rememberence day in Aus/NZ. Not learning from our mistakes, we turned up for WW2 and Churchill repeated his blunderings withe Greece/ Crete campiagns

To me, the most compeling cause of WW2 was the hyperinflation in Germany in the 1920's - We have a financial problem, so let's print money (sound familiar US/UK???????) - A British reporter observed an old lady carrying a whicker basket of several million marks (the cost of a loaf of bread) who was mugged- they tipped out the money and stole the basket!!!!!

With Perry storming into Japan and dictating terms as to how they should behave in US terms (and the universal European disregard of Asians) should anybody be surprised at Pearl Harbour???

Japan's big mistake in WW2 was not to embrace the countries they 'liberated' from the round eyes, but to massacre them as well -Asia could have been ruling the world 40 years ago!!!

Currently, if it was my decision, Bin Laden was with no dispute, in Afghanistan when he launched Sept 11 - day 2, Afghanistan should have been nuked - other than drugs, what has it contributed to the world??

Middle East, same scenario - other than terrorism, what have they contributed??? If they disappeared from the map, who would miss them???

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Japan's big mistake in WW2 was not to embrace the countries they 'liberated' from the round eyes, but to massacre them as well -

The Nazis made the same mistake in the countries they "liberated" from the Communists.

As for my reply to the post on Attlee, I feel a twit I thought "I'm sure its not Attlee but the Doc is usually right", that's the last time I'll believe somebody who is a Doc. :D :eek:

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I feel sorry for poor Clem, if we had gone to war earlier we would have been slaughtered, we nearly were anyway, I have read some historians who say that he knew it was inevitable but was buying time for us to prepare.

Brian

The Sudetenland wasn't yours to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom