How to select a table name with whitespaces in access 2007 from outside access (1 Viewer)

Jelte

Local time
Yesterday, 18:27
Hi!
I don’t know for sure this is the correct forum to ask this question but it’s the best I could find.
I use an external program (Bonita Studio, business process modeler) to manipulate may access database (in SQL). But I encountered a problem. When I try to select a table name with a whitespace in it (e.g. SELECT * FROM ‘Test Table’) it gives an error. I posted this problem on the Bonita forum but I was told this is an ODBC Microsoft Access driver issue. I tried “test table”, `test table`, [test table] and ‘test table’. Is there a way to select tables with whitespaces? Or doesn’t the ODBC driver support this?
Greetings Jelte

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 02:27
Are you sure it is white space and not an underscore? try Test_Table

why not use a wzard to create a query and look at the sql once created.

Jelte

Local time
I tried it with the underscores but then access can't find the name (obvious because access thinks it is called test table not test_table)

I first make the query in access. It works there, but when I copy the SQL code to the other program is doesn't work:(. So I first thought it was a bug in the program i'm using, but the developers of that program told me it is a microsoft problem... I think the ODBC driver cannot convert it or something :)confused:, i'm no programmer so I don't know). Normally in SQL names with white spaces can be used like `test table`. But this doesn't work....

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Can you not rename the table?
Or create a query based on the table and save the query as TestTable and link that.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
All you need is to enclose it in brackets:

SELECT * FROM [Test Table]

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
According to the initial post the OP has tried [Test Table]

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
I've never had a problem like that but then it may be an Access ODBC issue. I don't know that I've needed the Access ODBC driver (except perhaps in Crystal Reports).

Does the Bonita Studio have the ability to use an OLEDB connection instead?

Dave H

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:27
I don't have an issue with this when I query an access database from excel using microsoft query so I wouldn't think it is a microsoft problem.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
surely square brackets works

[test table]

are yuo sure you got the syntax correct

if not, try the bonita help again. maybe its a different character you need

Jelte

Local time
I will post it at the Bonita Studio forum. But thanks for your help, I decided it is better to change the database (it will cost me a day, but I think it will be more sound without whitespaces).

Jelte

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom