refresh link tables with password (1 Viewer)

db_john

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:53
I have a project with 2 accdb. The MASTER contains forms, reports etc. The DATA accdb contains only tables which is password protected. The tables in the master accdb has links to all tables to the data accdb. This setup allows me to revise program codes, add forms/reports easily by just create the links manually. However, this also create a problem: if user accidentally changes the name of the folder containing the DATA accdd, the link path is invalid. By design both accdb are in the same folder.

I want to add some codes such that when the startup form is loaded, it checks the links. If the path is invalid, it rebuilds the links by looking into the folder the MASTER accdb is. I know this will not prevent the error if user move one of the accdb to other folder but this is not considered.

Thanks for your advice.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 05:53
First, tt appears that you are defeating the prupose of spliting the database. The idea is that each user has a copy of the front-end (Master) and the backend (data file) is located in a shred network folder.

This would basically eliminate your issue by having them maped to the network drive and now allow user to change the folder name on the network.

db_john

Registered User.
Local time
Mr. B, in this case, I need to install the MASTER accdb on each user's computer and build the link to the DATA accdb sitting in the network shared folder? This could be time consuming and won't stop my worry.

My present setup is both MASTER and DATA are sitting in a network shared folder and each user's computer has a shortcut link pointing the the MASTER. The MASTER has links in the table page pointing to all tables in the DATA accdb. If I revise the program codes, I just upload the new MASTER to the folder, link tables then revise the users' shortcut links to the new MASTER.

All computers are running on the WinXP and the MASTER and DATA accdb are in the manager's computer. The manager has all permissions in handling the folder including rename etc. To prevent the manager accidentally change the folder name and causing the database not working, I need to find out a way to automatically refresh the links.

Thanks.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 05:53
I need to install the MASTER accdb on each user's computer and build the link to the DATA accdb sitting in the network shared folder? This could be time consuming and won't stop my worry.
This is not time consuming. You only have to make the link one time from your master to the backend data. Then distribute the from end to each user. As long as all user have access to the network folder you will not have a problem.

My present setup is both MASTER and DATA are sitting in a network shared folder and each user's computer has a shortcut link pointing the the MASTER. The MASTER has links in the table page pointing to all tables in the DATA accdb. If I revise the program codes, I just upload the new MASTER to the folder, link tables then revise the users' shortcut links to the new MASTER.
Again, this is not the correct way to use a split database method. You can check the Micorsoft web site and newsgroups as well as other posts here and you will find that you need to provide each user with their own copy of the front-end file. Otherwise you are not accomplishing anything by spliting the file. You still have all users using the same front-end file and this is exactly where the corruption can come from. Think about it if you had many users trying to use one Excel file, or many users trying to modify one Word document. I don't think you would even want to try that. Well, that is exactly what you are attempting to do if you do not provide each user with their own copy of the front-end file on their workstation.

I need to find out a way to automatically refresh the links.
You will not really need to refresh any links when you set this up the way it is susposed to be setup.

Why not give it a try. You are really working too hard at trying not to de the right thing, when you can eliminate your problems if you will just give it a try.

Avelino

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:53
A single shared front-end can really cause problems. Requires more network and performance decreases. This setting would be perfect if you had using Terminal Services in Windows 2003/2008.

Try to follow the suggestion of Mr.B using the program that make available for linking the tables.

When you unpack you'll have two files:

linksbar.accdb (front end)
linksbar_be.accdb (back end)

to run the front-end tables will be automatically linked, according to the image.

http://www.ribbon01.com/fa/barlink2.gif

Move the back-end to another folder.
Run the front end and a screen will fail to open, according to the image

http://www.ribbon01.com/fa/barlink1.gif

search the back end and click save. see what happens

Success

Attachments

• links.zip
    639.2 KB · Views: 648

ahmed salih

Local time
it dosent work in access 2003
please i have the same problem that i have front db and back db , when the front is run and the back is in defrent path
i need code to auto refresh link by ask for new path
thanks

pavlos

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:53
Hi Avelino,

I try your sample database with the code for refresh link tables with password and get the error depicted in the attached jpg file.

Actually, it worked only the first time I opened it. Since then it keeps giving the same error.

Any suggestion why?

Regards,
Pavlos

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom