back end on ftp (1 Viewer)

icemonster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
is it possible to put the back end on the ftp? we have a very fast server, ridiculously fast, so can i put it on the back end and just link it?

thanks for any reply.

i searched the forums but somehow all i see is web based, i want to maintain my front end and just link it through ftp.

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:47
First time I ever hear someone say a connection is fast :)

I don't have to much knowledge on networks. Going on a N+ course next month...ask me then - haha

But - Can you map the path to a folder on the ftp containing the BE file?
If so, it should be possible and real easy to do.

icemonster

Registered User.
Local time
yeah you can but when i click on my ftp, it says i have no permission, oddly enough. yeah our server is ridiculously fast, i we have a ds3 line, with a xeon 4q 3.3 process and is not hosting anything. lol

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
What do you mean - if you click on the ftp?

Are you "linking" to the BE file on the ftp and getting a permissions error when selecting the mdb file on the ftp? Can you actually see the file from the linking dialogue box?

Can you set permsiions on the ftp?

icemonster

Registered User.
Local time
yeah when i double click on the ftp, its says i have no permission lol. does anyone know or has a code that can be embedded on automatically linking database using vba?

like with a code line of: link: ftp://ftp.server.com/file101, "username", "password"

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:47

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
FTP is for transmitting files (File Transmission Protocol), think about when you log into an FTP site and click on a file, it downloads to your PC and then opens, for Access to work over a network the ldb file must be created in the same folder path where the database exists, since Access can't send FTP command to the server I can't see any way the necessary file operations can happen.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll elaborate on DJKarl's answer, which is essentially correct.

What you don't see when you connect Access front-end to any other back-end is the protocol that they use. You don't see it because for Windows-to-Windows servers it is totally transparent most of the time, particularly if you are in a domain environment or already have mapped drives. The Windows File Sharing protocol allows you to open files on a remote device and manage pointers that work for the inside of those files. With Windows File Sharing you can request gets and puts of single disk buffers. Exactly what Access needs when working with a remote file server.

When you link to an SQL or ORACLE or SYBASE or (whatever else) server as the back end, you are using an ODBC package specific to that back end server and database combination. An ODBC package approaches the problem differently in that Access sends queries to the back-end and gets back replies. In between the query and the reply, the database package on the back-end server handles the disk accesses required in whatever way is required. The replies get fed to Access using internal pointers for the result-sets (sometimes called database cursors in some systems) to track the progress of processing the reply.

An FTP server does not use either Windows File Sharing or ODBC protocols. FTP's protocol is designed to transmit WHOLE FILES (and an occasional directory listing). An Access database needs something that is capable of looking at PARTS of a file (when in file sharing mode) or it has to handle queries (when in ODBC mode). The protocol involved for an FTP server is not capable of doing either of thise functions.

Before you ask, ... no, you can't augment FTP to implement this ability. FTP is managed by an international standards committee who would laugh you out of the building if you suggested this. The thrust of the committee is to SIMPLIFY, not COMPLICATE all network protocols. Oh, by the way - Secure FTP (FTP via Secure Shell) and other FTP variants will have the same exact problem.

If you could establish Windows File Sharing protocol to this FTP server, you would do pretty well. If you could run something locally on the FTP server and establish ODBC protocols, you would do pretty well. But for "straight" FTP, the protocol isn't designed for dynamic gets and puts of individual disk buffer-loads within a single file.

Now, the next point to consider: Why would you dedicate a server like that? According to "best network security practices" you must segregate functionality so that if your web servers get hacked, you can still run applications that aren't web based. You can still send and receive files. You can still establish database connections. Because by spreading out functionality, you make it close to impossible for a total denial of service to occur. Which is why, if you are at a U.S. Government site or a fairly progressive commercial site, I wouldn't hold my breath about getting an application loaded to an FTP dedicated server.

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks a lot for effort of that clear explanation Doc!
I sure hope the guys where I'm attending the N+ course next month will be so clear.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
If I understand webdisk techonology correctly it might work. A webdisk client allows you to map a server in the same way you would map a locally shared network drive, from that point on Windows should treat that the same as any other mapped drive.

However:
Even if your back-end is blazing fast I imagine this would slow it down as you are adding translation software in between the OS and this new drive, it has to translate your disk requests into the appropriate commands then retrieve or push the information to the server, regardless how fast your connection is the translating step is bound to slow things down. One other thing to keep in mind, even over a stable network connection Access has a tendency to corrupt, if you throw another layer of software and/or the internet into the mix there could be trouble down the road.

icemonster

Registered User.
Local time
so, can you show me how to link a backend with a front end without using link table manager?

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
so, can you show me how to link a backend with a front end without using link table manager?

Like via VBA code? You could use the TransferDatabase acLink method, or use a tabledef and set the connect property.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The essence of linking FE to BE is to understand that you can add TableDef objects that include a property of being linked and a pointer called the .Connect property. The connect pointer has two parts - login information when dealing with ODBC, and file information when file sharing an Access BE file. Look up the TableDef object and the .AddNew function, then see how you add properties to it. The examples don't look that extensive but the truth is, the process is that simple that it LOOKS simple. Not to say you can't add bells and whistles to it, but there isn't much you need to do when making a link to an external table. It will get the table structure from the external linked files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom