LinkMasterField Automation Error (1 Viewer)

Sean

Local time
Today, 22:19
I have a subform which causes the error message:
The LinkMasterFields property setting has produced this error: 'the object doesn't contain the Automation object 'TblContracts."

Does anybody have any idea what this really means, and how to fix it? Everything seems to work fine, other than the fact that this error message pops up every time I try to go to my subform, and also every time I open the main form or switch records.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Delete the Master/Child links then rebuild them by clicking on the button with the 3 dots just to the right of the Master and Child link fields.

Sean

Local time
I have already tried many times to delete the master and cild link fields, and I have re-built them many times both on my own, and by pressing the build button. In addition to this, I have re-created the subform many times both by using the sub-form field, and by dragging another form onto my page.

Sean

Local time
Thank you for your help. I have finally figured out a way around the problem...although I still do not understand why it happens in the first place.

I created a text box on my main form whith the datasource being the field I am linking to. Then on the masterLink area, I call that text box. This seems to fix the problem, although again, I don't understand why this works but I can't set the master link directly to the field on the underlying table.

jollofrice

Registered User.
Local time
I know this post is very old, but since I just had the same problem in Access 2007 and this post is highly ranked by Google, here is a possible solution:

I had a query underlying the form which used the tbl.* to query all the fields in the table and then tbl.field which was sorted ascending. I was trying to link my subform to tbl.field, but Access counted two instances of the field and could not decide which one to link to.

I used the Query Design window to remove the tbl.* part of the query and simply dragged in all the individual fields. The problem solved without having to create a separate text box.

KenRob

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:19
jollofrice set me on the correct course to finding a solution. I have having the same problem as addressed in this thread.

My form was also built on a query. But I did not have quite that same situation as jollofrice. I did use tbl.* in my query, but I did not the use tbl.field to sort ascending. So I my issue was not that the field was called twice.

I ended up fiddling around until I found the solution. I based by form on the table directly instead of a query. This took care of this issue.

Although I am still not sure why. Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts.

I went from :banghead: to :)

BrianB75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:19
Also wanted to say that jollofrice's post helped me solve my issue.

balsam

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:19
Also wanted to thankfully say that jollofrice's post solved my similar issue.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:19
An old thread that need an authoritative answer a long time ago. Here it is at last.

When Access encounters two fields by the same name in a query it differentiates them by including the parent object name. So where both tablename.* and tablename.fieldname are included, one instance of the field will be simply called "fieldname" while the other will be "tablename.fieldname" to differentiate them.

What has flummoxed the posters on this thread is that the longer name is not [tablename].[fieldname] but [tablename.fieldname]. The square brackets must be used around the term because this name contains the dot. Unfortunately the form wizard isn't sophisticated enough to handle this.

However the issue can be easily avoided entirely. When using tablename.* and putting a sort on tablename.fieldname, simply uncheck the Show for the sort field in the designer so it will only be returned once and Access won't have to differentiate the names.

Also note that a similar thing happens when the query includes more than one field by the same name from different tables. Once again the name is a single term and must be written as [tablename.fieldname].

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
My case is may be different from yours!! I got 2 different systems but a form/subform relationship had been built in both systems! They are exactly the same, one worked well but not the other. The other got the same problem as yours!! Any idea??

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
I gave up to link according to table fields and created a text box! Putting the value to text box firstly, and then query according to text value! But the ACCESS 2003 simply didn't recognized the linkage! When I ran the system, ACCESs 2003 asked me to fill up the value of the linkage which is the text box! IT seems the ACCESS firstly tried to examine the linkage, and it told there got some linkage problem before running any VBA coding!! That's why it telling error message before any coding. I have put a MSGBOX to display the text box value at the FORM_OPEN PROCEDURE!! BUT the error message display before that MSGBOX!!

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
So I do think it is the problem of the ACCESS 2003 itself but not any linkage!!

freightguy

Registered User.
Local time
I had to same problem but mine was due to the ID field. I simply moved the ID field from first field to last field and the error did not re-occur (I used the query builder). The message was right that we cannot assign a value to the field (field being the primary ID in my case) - hope this helps someone else in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom