Report truncating fields when exporting to Word .rtf format (1 Viewer)

gblack

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:27
I looked this one up on the forum and I stole this title from another post in 2005 which had no replies to it.

I am experiencing a similar issue, but mine has nothing to do with any printer issue. I have a report that can be pushed out to PDF or RTF. The PDF push runs just fine (i.e., the PDF file does not truncate any fields), but the RTF file truncates some memo fields (especially ones that might run on to another page via the can grow property).

Why does this happen? Is there something I can do to prevent my memo fields from being truncated with I push the report out in an RTF word doc?

Thanks,
Gary

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Try setting the Text Format property of the memo textboxes to Rich Text.

gblack

Registered User.
Local time
I tried changing the memo field property from plain text to rich text, but it doesn't do anything accept show the hard returns and such... so it prints out a bunch of stuff like this:
"Some text here <br> then some more text <br> etc..."
and the memo field still gets truncated in the RTF export.

My only guess, from reviewing the report design, is: it has something to do with the fact that it's a very involved report and has a bunch of sub reports. And somehow the RTF exporet process cannot easily translate the following (formatting) in the subreport along with the can grow property from the previous memo field, while continuing through a page break.

Each time a memo field continues on to another page, via the Can Grow property, the text gets chopped off (i.e., if there's a sub report that follows). Thusly the page simply starts with the begining of the sub report and chops off the rest of the previous memo field text.

But this only happens when exporting the report via RTF, the PDF export comes out fine. The memo field grows, with no issues, onto the next page and the sub report starts immedately aftewards. I wonder what is happening here with the RTF export process.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I would imagine it's more of a Can Grow issue. Stop that property for now and see how that turns out.

gblack

Registered User.
Local time
Um... if I set the Can Grow property to "no" then it will chop off all the memo text beyond the length of the bound textbox... won't it?

That should make truncate the memo field even further... right?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Correct, but what we're trying to ascertain is the culprit of the truncation.

gblack

Registered User.
Local time
I will give it a shot... but I fail to see how chopping off even more text will show us why the memo field is being truncated in the first place.

The issue is that when the text runs onto the next page, it gets cut off. If I prevent the can grow property from allowing the text run over to the next page (i.e., crop the text even further back), how will this help me find the truncating culprit?

I'm lost...

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
It will point to you that MS Word cannot handle the Can Grow property of a textbox which would mean the only way you can export your report (with the memo fields) to rtf is via the query itself. Or export to pdf and perform a from pdf to word conversion.

gblack

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this...

Hmm... I don't understand what is meant by RTF cannot handle "can grow" because it does handle the can grow property, with no issues, in places where the page break does not happen.

I haven't checked on the rest of this stuff yet, as I got pulled onto other issues, but I intend to investigate the matter today or tomorrow.

I think I might not be explaining things correctly as the responses are confusing to me. I may spend some more time in a detailed description in a forthcoming post.

duthiedon

Donner
Local time
Today, 00:27
I've encountered this problem myself, and I found the root cause was something in the original copy and paste from a word document. If I cleared the field, and then pasted the text as "paste special - text", it worked fine. Never did figure out a better solution, but it solved the problem.

ctpoodle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:27
Thanks gblack! It seemed counter-intuitive to me as well but it worked! I had been having the issue of having my memo box cut off when exported to Word and it was driving me nuts! Thank you! This did the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom