Out of stack space error (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 11:30
Hi ,
I have a Access database being accessed by more than 50 users in production. The software had been working without any glitches for more than 2 years now. The hardware was recently upgraded some 100 days back. But all of a sudden an error has cropped up in the application.
The error code is 28 with desciption 'out os stack space'

MS Access database has around 50-60 forms and losts of VBA code and it uses Oracle database in back-end

As I understand this error comes up when stack memory gets full maybe becasue of recursive code, too complex nested code or when many functions ,events are opened.

But in this case the code should not have given error all of a sudden after those many days. I suspect may be the memory available on the server is not able to support activities of this many user at one time

Can someone please suggest what would be the best possible solution to this problem? Can increasing the system memory would be an easier option?

Local time
Bob,

they do have a front end copy with them in their profiles. Also I have been told that they did not get this error all the time but quite often

Local time
yes,

there are two servers where actual copy is placed

and each user connects through terminal service

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:00
yes, but does each user log in to his own folder in TS, where he has his own copy of the database - or do they all open the same copy of the database?

it makes a difference.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
maybe you are right- maybe the TS is "full". 25 users sounds fairly heavy, although it depends on the size of the machnie, and the usage mix.

Which version of Access are you running?

do you manage the system or do you have external support who can advise you on this.

Local time
No, I do not manage the system but by Infrastructure vendor.
I do not have access to it. I developed the database and tested on test machine. But the number of users were very few-around 5.

The users as told to me are between 50 and 80.

The database was built using MS Access 2000 and deployed on Windows server 2000 machine but around 100 days back it has been migrated to windows server 2003 machine and MS Office version now is 2003

Is there a way to find if TS is full? I can get those people to check

Local time
Hi All,

I got around the problem.

It had nothing to do with system memory but the VB code itself.

The VB code after fetching values from database was converting the numeric values to integer whereas the value was 32770 greater tha 32767.

The function where this conversion was used was recursie in case of errors with max retry set to 120 because of which stack error was encountered.

Thanks all

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
out of interest I very rarely if ever use integer variables. I tend to use longs for any number value just in case.

pleased you found it - that sort of thing can be hard to track down, although deep recursion is always a possibilty.

Local time
yup!

deep recurssion is always a problem and even I always use long variable instead of integer.

But this project was made around 5 years ago and users never had any problem till now since the variable is used to store value of a sequence started from 1 . sequence reached its value 32768 last month and it gave problem now. The original developers would not have tested in this manner and even when I saw the source code I found that they have declared the variable as long at more than 100 places but used Cint function only at one place which created all the problems.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
tricky

stick around amit - this site is a great resource. i am sure you can give a lot to it, and you will get a lot back out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom