Read-Only Error while opening the database (1 Viewer)

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:45
Hi,

I have this strange problem from 2 days. I couldn't figure it out where i need to remove security.

Error: The database 'test' is read-only.You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definition in this database.

This is really old database.It is in access 2003.I make sure the Read-only option is not checked out when you right click and go to properties. Also, I try to import in to separate new database. Then it is working fine for my user account but not others. They are still getting the error. It is not removing the security completely. I did Alt+F11 and went to see the code window. There is nothing in there.

Please help me to remove the security completely. The end users need to enter the data ASAP.

Thanks,

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried in the same way. I selected users group and assigned all the permissions.Later,I imported in to empty new database. But i am still getting that read-only error.
Please suggest me if i am doing wrong or if there is another way.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:45
Okay,

1. You open your secured one through the SHORTCUT - do NOT join the workgroup.

2. If you already joined the workgroup for your secure databases you will need to go join the default System.MDW file.

3. Before you open your secured database, go create a brand new, blank mdb file.

4. So, if you are joined to the default system.mdw file then you open your secured database through your SHORTCUT to the secured mdw file (whatever that is named - hopefully you didn't overwrite the default one).

5. Once you have opened your secured one, you can go over to your new one which should already be open and then do an IMPORT of all of the objects in the database.

6. Once you have completed this, close your secured database and then try closing and opening the new file you created.

I believe you either have joined the workgroup instead of using a shortcut (where you should have used a shortcut to open the file each time) or you have not created the blank one while joined to the default Windows workgroup (system.mdw)

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
I have only .mdb file. There is no special .mdw file. Also, what do you mean by SHORTCUT. I am opening the .mdb file directly which is on network drive. I copied in to my desktop and i am trying to remove security. Do you think i should Change System.mdw file? sorry...I am not much familiar with access..I am dotnet pragrammer actually...Thanks for ur patience..

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:45
If you have to log in to an ACCESS database then you have used User level security. And if you do not have any other mdw file (there is one that is created when you secure the database) it is highly probable that you (or whoever added the security) chose the name system.mdw which meant that it overwrote the current file. That is BAD, BAD, BAD. The only way out of this mess is to find someone with a copy of system.mdw from a system which has not had it overwritten with the modified version, which you can then overwrite your current one with. But you may have a problem. If you overwrite it then you won't be able to open the database that you have in order to remove the security.

I think you are in a spot of serious trouble and I'm not sure how to get you out of this mess.

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
Wow...I didn't realize i was in a trouble...I am keep on trying several ways from 2 days..I donno what to do..May be i export the database to Sql server but it requires lot of of time and effort..Throw any ideas if find any later..Thanks for ur suggestions today!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom