Combo Box Auto Expand Problem (1 Viewer)

DaveLowe

Local time
Yesterday, 19:06
I am using Access 2010 and have a number of instances of combo boxes on various screens I have designed for an order tracking system.

The autoexpand property in these combo boxes is set to yes however it fails to work.

I have tried recreating the combo box objects and switching the autoexpand property on and off several times however nothing seems to work.

The lists for these combo boxes are a variety of simple select queries or individual tables in a properly normalised database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:06
Are you sure that the data you're entering matches a selection in the bound column for the Combobox?

It's not uncommon, when creating a Combobox, to include a PK, usually an AutoNumber, and then to set that column's width to 0" so that it doesn't actually appear in the dropdown. If that column is the bound column, and the user enters a name, for instance, that is in the second, visible column, AutoExpand won't function as expected.

Linq ;0)>

DaveLowe

Local time
Yesterday, 19:06
Thats great

Thank you very much for your help

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 20:06
Validated: I am using Access 2010 and had the same problem.
With the RowSource showing an Index in the first column the user could not type in selections on the list.

Procedure:
In the Row Source Query for the Combo Box, move the Index to the second column as you suggested.
Be sure to change the Bound Column to 0 reflect the new location of the pull-down list items.
Also remember in the Format - Column Widths
Example: It is common to have a List Width of 1"
In the Column Widths hiding the index and showing the data as 0";1"
Change that to 1";0" to show the values in the list box and hide the index now relocated in the second column.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that for the moment. Your solution saved me the time to remember.

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:36
I have a problem with the combo box on my form. I have a combo box "driver name" and the row source is a table and I selected "auto expand" property to yes but when I am typing it is not expanding the values on the behalf of the character I am typing and I dont know what to do ?? please help..

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:06
I have a problem with the combo box on my form. I have a combo box "driver name" and the row source is a table and I selected "auto expand" property to yes but when I am typing it is not expanding the values on the behalf of the character I am typing and I dont know what to do ?? please help..
Have you read and understood post #2 in this thread.

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
yes but it is not working for me if I typed value in combo box it is working but if I call a value from table it is not working. I am using ms access 2013.

well thnx for reply I need solution thank you friend..

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
my mean is that if I using record source for combo box a table/query than auto expand property of combo box is not working.

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
if I am using value list as row source type in combo box and typing the value the auto expand property is working but if I am using table/query as row source type then auto expand property of combo box is not working.

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
I am using internet from mobile so I cant do it now?? any suggestion

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:06
Can you tell us the settings of the following combo box properties:

Row Source Type
Row Source
Column Count
Column Widths
Bound Column

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 10:06
lets make things clear, auto expand is not same as dropdown. auto expand is when you type something in the combobox, when it finds a match on the substring you are typing, displays the most likely match.

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
can some tell me that how to distribute database to different computer for real time use ?
is it possible to distribute the database to different cites and countries??

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
lets make things clear, auto expand is not same as dropdown. auto expand is when you type something in the combobox, when it finds a match on the substring you are typing, displays the most likely match.

i used distinct keyword and now it is working....

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom