Sorting dates by year first, then month/day (1 Viewer)

JH40

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:41
Hello all... I'm writing a simple query where I'd like to sort the date result in descending order. The date format is mm/dd/yyyy. When the results return, the sort order is only correct for the given year. For example, the result is:

12/15/2010
10/21/2010
08/01/2010
01/17/2011

I need the 2011 date at the top of this list rather than the bottom. This is most likely very simple, but I'm trying to create a calculated field to do it and have not yet been successful... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Create a field in your query like this:

SortDate:Format([YourDateFieldNameHere], "yyyymmdd")

And then set the sort to Descending if you want the latest up on top or Ascending if you want the earliest. You can uncheck the Display checkbox for that field so it doesn't display in your query but just sorts by it.

JH40

Registered User.
Local time
Makes sense--thanks so much. However, is there a way to then display the actual data as mm/dd/yyyy so that it is consistent with the rest of the report formatting? This is a field that will be viewable on the report.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Makes sense--thanks so much. However, is there a way to then display the actual data as mm/dd/yyyy so that it is consistent with the rest of the report formatting? This is a field that will be viewable on the report.

It looks like your original date field is already formatted that way, so include that field in your query as well.

JH40

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, the light just went on! Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom