Relink Split and encrypted db (1 Viewer)

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:52
Hello all.

I have split a db successfully (it was my first time!!:D) and then using the Access 2010 help, I have encrypted the BE.

The help file now tells me to "...in the FE, delete the links to the tables in the BE, and then link to them again..."

So I open the FE and go where to get this done? The linked table manager does indeed show me the links to the BE tables, but it does not allow me to do anything with them:confused:.

Heeeeelp

Thanks

mafhobb

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
I have opened the FE by Holding the Shift key down and used the linked table manager to update the linked tables and all I can do is select the old tables, click on the "always prompt for a new location" checkbox and then click on OK.

If I do this, a dialog box allows me to search fro the BE, bunt when I click OK, I get a "Not a valid Password" error, even though I have not entered one yet. I guess I was expecting to be asked for the BE password, but I get the error right away.

Any suggestions?

thanks

mafhobb

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Ok. I made a little progress.

Because the database was split, the tables shown in the objects window are not the actual tables but links to the tables. Therefore to delete the table links you just need to select the table name and hit delete. Do this however many times is necessary to delete all tables.

To redo the links with the encrypted BE you need to go to the "External Data" tab and then select "Access". At this point, browse to the location of the BE and select the option "Link" at the bottom of the dialog box.

This will ask for the BE password and relink the BE encrypted tables to the FE.

The one problem I have found with this is that my login form does not work. I get a "invalid database object reference" when it opens and I try to type my username. I do not know at this point if this is because the username textbox is trying to look for the list of valid usernames from a linked table or if this is a problem with the form itself.

FWIW, the table with the usernames has been linked and can be opened (if I bypass the login form by holding the shift key)

Thii problem did not happen when the db was split but the BE was not encrypted.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

What is the fix?

mafhobb

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:52
I see- you have linked to your tables

OK - if you need to change to link to different tables - (say you move the backend - so these links are not valid) - then you need to delete the tables one at a time - and then use the menu option to reconnect them.

if the tables haven''t changed then the links remain valid and you dont need to touch them. You can see if they work, by just trying to open one directly

so - it can be time consuming doing this manually - so a lot of us develop ways of reconnecting, using code. There are quite a few examples around.

Is that what you mean?

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Kind of...

Being the first time dealing with 2010, as well as a split and encrypted BE, a few things were happening...

The first problem was figuring out that I needed to delete the tables (or the links to the tables in this case) one by one as deleting all of them at once would not return the same results.

Then understanding that the linked table manager does not really allow you to manage linked tables...only do some updates.

Finally, I was running into an access 2010 bug which was causing the "invalid object reference"

All these together was confusing me :confused:

However, After some research I have learned about all of these and I have figured out how to make it work manually (compact and repair fix the error message)

I now want to learn to do the table linking with code (even if the BE is encrypted) and hopefully find a way to not run into the error message.

Any good code examples you can share?

thanks

mafhobb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom