forms different size everytime they open (1 Viewer)

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 10:20
hi guys,

I'm having a hell of a time with forms in 07. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here are the props I have set on the 5 that I'm dealing with:

autocenter = yes
autoresize = no
fittoscreen = no
border style = dialog
moveable = no

these forms are completely unpredictable. I will open them one time and then a second time 5 seconds later. I've seen all of the following:

• the form becomes so small that it's only a tiny dot on the screen
  • the form is resized - the right side is expanding so the width becomes larger
  • a white strip (looks like the left side record selector) will appear on the right side of the form and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do

this stuff is really ticking me off, but obviously it's due to yet another crappy piece of software by MS. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this, which might be my fault, is that I used the NW "product list" form to create these 5 forms. I deleted all of the crazy properties from each of these, such as the strange "tag property" schema (which of course doesn't make any sense to most developers). I also know that the nice little orange color schema that the NW forms have at the top of them, must be embedded somehow and uneditable. I am not using them, but those sections are still there in my forms. I simply covered them up with back-colored box controls.

I have no idea what to do, but I'm getting pretty annoyed by this. Anyone got any help for me? I don't want to re-create the forms from scratch form objects unless this problem is due to me using MS's crappy NW templates to make my own forms.

Any advice from you guys? thanks!

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 10:20
if anyone is interested, I finally found a page that I think explains this whole thing:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...istingApplications_VisualUserInterfaceChanges

the anchoring of controls is the issue, I believe. That, combined with the NW template themes. There must be pre-determined properties or settings in those templates that cannot be changed (hence, the orange strips at the top of forms and such). The forms are therefore unpredictable.

This may not solve the problem, but as of now it has worked since I performed the following steps:

• set all of the "anchoring" properties for subforms (right click on subform) to "top left"
  • set all controls on all forms to: horizonal anchor = "left", vertical anchor = "top"
  • eliminated all forms that were designed using NW forms. created my own from scratch and copied all controls that I created over to the new forms

so if this doesn't solve the problem, I'm sure it certainly a part of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom