Problem installing Access 2010 Runtime (1 Viewer)

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:27
This is more of a direct support question to Microsoft, but obviously that's not going anywhere, and I couldn't find any answers on Google. So if anyone else has come across this....

Got my database ready to be packaged and I downloaded the 'Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime' package to help make it 'standalone' (not really, but for lack of a better description that'll do). I downloaded from here;

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10910

However, when I click on it to run, the 'Extracting Files' window comes up for a split second, then closes?! Keeps happening each time I try it. Any ideas what's going on?

I'm on Windows 7, SP1, 32-bit, Dual 2.8Ghz

Thanks,

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:27
I read recently, but don't recall where, that you don't really want to have runtime on the same machine as the full application. Runtime is for the machine that does not have Access installed. Now, if I am mistaken on this, please someone let me know. I have Access Runtime 2007 installed on my machine that is running Access 2002 but not on my machine that is running Access 2007.
Am I missing something or are you attempting something else here.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
You would not install the same runtime on a machine which has the same full version installed. And I don't know that it would let you because the executable is the same MSAccess.exe file and it would need to install registry settings in the same place as the full version has registry settings. It can work with different versions but not the same one.

To see what it is going to be like in the runtime you can change the file extension from accdb or accde to accdr and it will run on your full version as if it was the runtime version.

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
If that's true, it would have been nice to mention that somewhere on the download page > : (

I read recently, but don't recall where, that you don't really want to have runtime on the same machine as the full application. Runtime is for the machine that does not have Access installed. Now, if I am mistaken on this, please someone let me know. I have Access Runtime 2007 installed on my machine that is running Access 2002 but not on my machine that is running Access 2007.
Am I missing something or are you attempting something else here.

You're definitely answering my question, now I just have to find computer without Access installed and report back....

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
To see what it is going to be like in the runtime you can change the file extension from accdb or accde to accdr and it will run on your full version as if it was the runtime version.

That's actually a very handy tip! Will confirm soon, and hopefully solve this thread....

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
Awesome, the '.r' extension works!! Great advice boblarson, I'm certain the runtime app will also install on a non-Access computer, this one's solved for me...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:27
that is one "catch" with access you need to be aware off.

if you install a normal access database on a m/c with the runtime version involved, the user will not be able to see your design - or alternatively, if you distribute a run time version.

but without additional protection, the user may be able to run your database on a full version of access, and gain full access to the entire code.

hope that makes sense

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
Aarghh, spoke to soon! I just tried installing the runtime on two difference PC's without Access, and the same disappearing install windows occurred.

Thanks for pointing out the other issues gemma, I'll definitely get into those once I've gotten past this hurdle....

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
are the test pcs on W7 - I presume the installer is different for each platform now. Do they have XP or Vista?

Can you not just install the access 2010 run time manually on the users PC - otherwise you end up having too many alternative distributables.

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, they're on W7, and the download link above indicates the installer is for W7. I did try to manually install as well (that's where I'm having the problem with the 'disappearing' window).

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yes, they're on W7, and the download link above indicates the installer is for W7. I did try to manually install as well (that's where I'm having the problem with the 'disappearing' window).

Have you tried right clicking the file and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR?

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
Have you tried right clicking the file and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR?

Good suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't make a difference.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Save it to your desktop, go to your desktop and install it from there.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
So how long do you wait for anything to happen when the window disappears? Also, on these other PCs are they also on Windows 7 and I assume you downloaded and are trying to install the one that is

AccessRuntime.exe

and not the

AccessRuntime_x64.exe

correct? Just an FYI - sometimes you do have to wait a bit so be sure to be patient and wait for maybe 5 minutes after the window disappears before you attempt anything further. I would make sure the computer has been rebooted first just to make sure all has been cleared out and anything currently locked up is closed. Also, you might disable temporarily any AntiVirus software (expecially if it is NORTON) as that can conflict and keep things from running sometimes.

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
I think I figured out what the culprit was. Even though my Access files were not being recognized on these W7 computers without Access, it appears that they did have the 'MS Office 2010 Trial' installed. They then registered for Word & Excel, but Access must either have been instantiated for a trial period, or never at all.

I figured this out because once I removed the trial from the computer I'd been assigned to work on, the runtime finally went through it's execution! Of course it took out Word & Excel as well.....

So now I have to figure out how to get the runtime to install on computers 'with' this trial version....too much of a political nightmare to request the clients to uninstall and re-install their versions of Office.....

txlibertygirl

Local time
Today, 07:27
If I have Word & Excel 2003 on my PCs that I want to install Access 2010 Runtime on, will that cause issues?

Amber

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:27
If I have Word & Excel 2003 on my PCs that I want to install Access 2010 Runtime on, will that cause issues?

Amber

No, that should be fine.

You may have issues if you have several versions of Access (e.g. Access 2003 full install and Access 2010 runtime) but just the latter should work just fine.

SHADOW

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the point is, that if the trial version is on there - it WILL (should) be exactly the same as the runtime you are trying to install - and you shouldn;t need to reinstall

just try it.

karmacable

Registered User.
Local time
As gemma mentioned, if you see you have the trial version of Acces then don't install (like it did for me, it'll simply blink for a second and then the installer will go away).

To answer your actual question, NO it will not negatively affect Word / Excel.

r.harrison

It'll be fine (I think!)
Local time
Just come across a new issue with this.

I have 2010 on this machine. Downloaded the runtime for deployment on other comps. Thought I'd test it on here first.

Runtime installed without any issues (which contradicts this entire post!) But now all my wizards and extensions in Access don't work.

Currently uninstalling office and re-installing to try and fix it.

Definitely wish I'd read this thread first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom