Disable security warning to "enable content"? (1 Viewer)

Heatshiver

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:49
I have a simple DB setup so that when it opens the user cannot see anything other than my switchboard form, and the Access running window with no tabs, menus, options, navigation pane, etc.

My issue is that if I make a copy or put my DB on a different computer, it always comes up with the "enable content" warning. I need a way to avoid this or disable it.

Otherwise, if someone clicks my Exit button on the switchboard, they get an error. And it also shows the Home tab, which may be confusing for the person using my DB if they decide to not click on "enable content".

Please help!

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:49
I'm sorry, it can't be done, unless you place your db in a trusted location. The only partial workaround is to create an autoexec macro test if the db is trusted. If it is not, you can make it open a form that contains a picture of an untrusted Access screen with instructions on how to trust it. If you go to the sample db and download Aphrodite, you can see how this looks.

Heatshiver

Registered User.
Local time
Is there something else I can do beyond the Exit button to close down everything without receiving an error if "enable content" hasn't been clicked yet?

Worst comes to worst, having an image pop-up explaining what to do is a great idea to get them to enable content.

Also, downloaded the Aphrodite DB and respective files, but I get an error 2220... I noticed that some items I was opening were not properly displaying from what I could see in Design View.

I really wanted to find out how to the disable shift bypass, can you tell me where in the DB I could find that?

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
What line of code is highlighted when you got the error? edit- did you relink the backend?

Last edited:

Heatshiver

Registered User.
Local time
I figured it out, it was just that the picture wasn't in the "objects" folder as designated. I created one in the place it was expecting and it worked.

I figured out the bypass shift, but can you tell me where I can find out how to perform a "splash screen"?

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Hmm...I wonder how many topics we can cover in this thread.

If you mean that you want to replace the MS Access image when the db opens, then you should google it. I believe if you create an image and name it the same as your db and store it in the same location, it will use that image as a splash screen. Alternatively, you can use a form with a timer event of about 3000 or so. You can see the latter in Aphrodite as well.

Heatshiver

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, you can close this. I just realized, I would just make another form and have that one come up first. Although the timer event was my next question!

Thanks for the help!

hfrupn

Local time
Today, 14:49
Go to Start menu\All programs\Microsoft office\Microsoft Office Tools\Digital Certificates for VBA Projects. When the Create Digital Certificate pop up opens, give it a simple name, don't use spaces, and then press OK.
Next open your DB and find the Visual Basic Editor, should be for older versions in the tools menu\Macros. When the VB editor is open go to tools\Digital Certificate and add the certificate you have just created.
When others open your DB for the first time they will be asked if they trust the certificate.

This may sound strange but you could also try going into Outlook and reduce the security for your email. Not recommended unless you completely trust your antivirus software.

Hope this works for you

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Go to Start menu\All programs\Microsoft office\Microsoft Office Tools\Digital Certificates for VBA Projects. When the Create Digital Certificate pop up opens, give it a simple name, don't use spaces, and then press OK.
Next open your DB and find the Visual Basic Editor, should be for older versions in the tools menu\Macros. When the VB editor is open go to tools\Digital Certificate and add the certificate you have just created.
When others open your DB for the first time they will be asked if they trust the certificate.

I looked at this and it says it is only for the local machine, the machine the certification was created on.

hfrupn

Local time
Today, 14:49
You are correct. Once you have attached the certificate to the DB you can then give it to other users. When the other users open the DB on their local PC for the first time the user will get a message stating that there is an unknown certificate, they will have the option to trust or discard the certificate. I have only used this in XP and using a 2003 DB in Access 2007.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
I have a simple DB setup so that when it opens the user cannot see anything other than my switchboard form, and the Access running window with no tabs, menus, options, navigation pane, etc.

My issue is that if I make a copy or put my DB on a different computer, it always comes up with the "enable content" warning. I need a way to avoid this or disable it.

Otherwise, if someone clicks my Exit button on the switchboard, they get an error. And it also shows the Home tab, which may be confusing for the person using my DB if they decide to not click on "enable content".

Please help!
Have you tried enabling Macros and or ActiveX before compiling and distributing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom