Help! Run-time Error '3144' Syntax error in UPDATE statement (1 Viewer)

irunergoiam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:09
I'm getting a message: Run-time Error '3144' Syntax error in UPDATE statement.

I'm not sure why it won't run - I'm sure the error is taking place somewhere between the keyboard and my chair. When I run this from an On Click event, I get this error and when I go to the code, the last line DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL is highlighted in yellow.

Any ideas or gentle nudges in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "UPDATE [tblOSHWALabRequests] SET [tblOSHWALabRequests].[UpdateMedHoldDispo] = '" & cmbMedHoldDispo & "', [tblOSHWALabRequests].[UpdateMedHoldDate] = #" & unbMedHoldDispoDate & "#, [tblOSHWALabRequests].[UpdateMedHoldBy] = '" & unbMedHoldDispoBy & "', [tblOSHWALabRequests].[LabReqStatus] = " ' & cmbMedHoldDispo & '""
strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE (([tblOSHWALabRequests].[ApplicantID])=[Forms]![OSHWA_MRO_Disposition]![unbAppID]) AND (([tblOSHWALabRequests].[Req])=[Forms]![OSHWA_MRO_Disposition]![unbReq]));"
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:09
What do you get in the Immediate Window when you Debug.Print strSQL?

Kiwiman

Local time
Today, 18:09
Howzit

There does not appear to be a space between the end of the SET
part and the WHERE key word.

Edit: Also apostrophes and quote mark around wrong way on last set

Code:
 [tblOSHWALabRequests].[LabReqStatus] = '"  & cmbMedHoldDispo & "'" 
strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE

Last edited:

irunergoiam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:09
Thank you Kiwiman!! You were right on both counts. This site is hands down the best Access resource on the web. Everyone is so kind, patient, and mentoring. Thanks for helping not only with this question, but with expanding my understanding of how the UPDATE statement works.

wanamaa

Local time
Today, 10:09
Hello all,

I am running into a very similar issue. I'm learning Access as I go. I have been working with VBA for over a year and a half, but Access throws me through a loop :banghead:. Google has been my friend lately :)

Anyway, here is my code below that produces the '3144' error pointing at the "WHERE" keyword string:

Code:
CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE rmaList" & _
        " SET rmanum=" & Me.numRma & _
        ", cameraser=" & Me.numSerial & _
        ", modelNum=" & Me.cboModel & _
        ", lensSwap=" & Me.cboLens.Tag & _
        ", lensSerOld=" & Me.numLensOld & _
        ", lensSerNew=" & Me.numLensNew & _
        ", PartSwap=" & Me.cboPart.Tag & _
        ", PartSerOld='" & Me.numPartOld & "'" & _
        ", PartSerNew='" & Me.numPartNew & "'" & _
        ", txtNotes='" & Me.txtNotes & "'" & _
        ", shipped=(#" & Me.dateShip & "#)" & _
        " WHERE rmanum=" & Me.numRma.Tag

Prior to running this code, I fill the tag for numRMA with it's value (found this in a tutorial I based my userform on). I'm stuck trying to figure out where I've got an issue; I think my apostrophe and quotes are right, spacing looks right, not sure where else I'm having issues...any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

wanamaa

Local time
Today, 10:09
@spikepl

Thank you so much, that helps narrow down where the issue was!!! I was wondering about how to get the immediate window (never have had to use it in Visual Studio yet). Turns out my lensSwap and PartSwap didn't like having empty values (they are boolean type), which was causing the error. After adding in some error checking I was able to modify by SQL based on their True/False values. Definitely bookmarking that site you sent me for debug print :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom