Converting my MDE file into .exe with Access 2003 Runtime (1 Viewer)

patheo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:56
Hello,

I have a database that I want to convert into .exe for distribution to cumputers that do not have Ms access installed.
I have the Access 2003 runtime and now I dont know how to proceed this action.
Please, Can you help me?

Thanx in advance.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 21:56
1. You cannot convert an Access database to an EXE, no matter how hard you may try.

2. You just have them install the runtime and then they can run your database file. It is exactly like having the full version of Access installed EXCEPT that you must supply a startup form, there is no getting to the database window and new objects cannot be created, so you have to be careful what you try to do in VBA or macros. You can't, for example, open a form or report in design view to change something where you could do that with the full version installed.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
1. You cannot convert an Access database to an EXE, no matter how hard you may try.

It can be done. ;)

Copy all the code into a VB.NET project in Visual Studio. Some of the syntax will convert automatically. Then simply manually adjust the remaining 99.9% of the code. :eek:

Replace many of the functions with object methods and convert all the database connectivity to use ADO connections, commands and recordsets. Rebuild all the forms and reports. :rolleyes:

Yes I am trying to be humorous. It is a huge task that requires a lot of knowledge but if one tries hard enough it can be done. :p

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
It can be done. ;)

Copy all the code into a VB.NET project in Visual Studio. Some of the syntax will convert automatically. Then simply manually adjust the remaining 99.9% of the code. :eek:

Replace many of the functions with object methods and convert all the database connectivity to use ADO connections, commands and recordsets. Rebuild all the forms and reports. :rolleyes:

Yes I am trying to be humorous. It is a huge task that requires a lot of knowledge but if one tries hard enough it can be done. :p

I guess my definition of convert was different. I was thinking more of a straight - here it is and I convert it magically. But, yes, you can "convert" almost anything to any other program, with the caveats that you have laid out that it is not a straightforward shot and it requires a lot of work.

So, the humour is seen and I guess I could revise my statement to say -

You will never convert an Access database to an EXE unless you rewrite it in another programming language which compiles to an executable. :D

patheo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:56
I have to confess that I am not expert in development. So cannot convert my database the way Galaxiom explains above.
Can you explain a little bit in details on how I have to use the runtime? Do I have to send the application to the end user with the runtime to be installed before opening the application? Not that I have a start-up form all the required security.

Thanx a lot.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
Just a one time install of the runtime on the user's PC and they will be able to open any mdb files. They can't alter the design but they can add and edit records. They will need a startup form.

BTW: To legally distribute the 2003 runtime you are required to have a Developers Extension license. This is not required for 2007 runtime which can also run mdb files.

mikotron

Local time
Hi

I've been checking around for a reliable solution that allows me to convert my existing microsoft access MDB project to EXE since many years ago, about 4 months ago.. I found a solution named MDE COMPILER .., it does the job..

Good luck!

Miko

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom