Password protect switchboard startup bypass (1 Viewer)

Sreemike

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:23
I have an access 2010 database all complete with a user friendly switchboard form that open upon clicking an icon. But I don't want any users to press the SHIFT key and enter and alter any design settings. Is there anything I can do so that upon SHIFT [Enter] press, the user encounters a password request to proceed further, and cancel/wrong password to open the switchboard as a normal startup?

Sreemike

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:23
Thanks for the reply. I did find this old forum very useful.

Re: disable shift key at startup!
just took a look at the code i used to see how long itd take me to create an example file, but it looks like thats not necesary, youll need to create a button to run this code. if you dont want the users to know about the button you can hide this code on the click event of a picture or a box or pretty much anything you can put on a form, the database i was designing had a password field on the main menu for admins to view more details than other staff, so i managed to create a master password (which only i know) that when entered shows the button, this was how i kept the button completely invisible to the client, but that idea only works if the db your building already has a password field

anyway whatever control you use youll need to name it "bDisableBypassKey" then on the click event copy the following code, change "PASSWORD" to whatever you want the password to be, once this code is run it should disable the bypasskey when an incorrect password is entered and enable it when the correct passwords entered

after you do this create a new module called Key and copy and paste the contents of the attached text file into it

test it out and let me know if it works

Private Sub bDisableBypassKey_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_bDisableBypassKey_Click
'This ensures the user is the programmer needing to disable the Bypass Key
Dim strInput As String
Dim strMsg As String
Beep
strMsg = "Do you want to enable the Bypass Key?" & vbCrLf & vbLf & _
"Please key the programmer's password to enable the Bypass Key."
strInput = InputBox(Prompt:=strMsg, title:="Disable Bypass Key Password")
If strInput = "PASSWORD" Then
SetProperties "AllowBypassKey", dbBoolean, True
Beep
MsgBox "The Bypass Key has been enabled."
Else
Beep
SetProperties "AllowBypassKey", dbBoolean, False
MsgBox "The Bypass Key has bee disabled"
Exit Sub
End If
Exit_bDisableBypassKey_Click:
Exit Sub