data syncronization via dropbox (1 Viewer)

sljensen

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:58
I need to be able to syncronize databases from multiple field deployed laptops. I was hoping to do this via Dropbox but have run into conflicted copy issues. Does anyone have suggestions on an appropriate way to syncronize data across multiple laptops that are not hard wired to a server or the internet?

I'm not sure how dropbox/Access indicates that multiple copies of the database are open concurrently thereby indicating conflicted copies are present, but I'm wondering if a solution could be as easy as staggering the laptop dates by a week or more so, if a time stamp is responsible for the conflict. Any thoughts? Is there an easier way?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 10:58
Dropbox doesn't "synchronize" anything in DB-sense. When you start working on the same dropbox file, each user is working on own copy. The one updated last "wins" over all the other copies, and all the other users' copies are lost.

How to do "sync" depends on which way the data flows -from users to some central db or also from central db to users. From users to some central db each individual user app could spit out an individual file with updates, that could be absorbed centrally.

sljensen

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply.
I think I understand the last one wins concept now.

So I need to be able to somehow export? new or amended records from users to the central BD. Is there an outomated way to do this or do I need to include a date last modified field in each record that I can then filter for?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:58
To add to what Spike said.

The ONLY way (AFAIK) to sync is to share the Back End file.

However Dropbox does not share files. It merely stores a copy and sends the latest version of the file to each users Hard Drive.

The long and short of this is that what you want to do can't be done.

If you can find a way then I for one would like to know how. This would change the way we do things.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 10:58
You need to think very carefully. Are users adding /modifying own records only? In this case just tag all records with some unique UserID and datetime, and parhaps a flag or date for last datatransfer (so you don't export records already exported) , and concoct some code to spit them out as perhaps Excel, or even some small db. Or just leave them in - if each users has his own backend on dropbox. This can then be read centrally. If you have users amending SAME records, then you need to think "who wins" and how to determine the winner.

sljensen

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for clarifying the operations of both Dropbox and Access.

I found software called DATADIFF that appears to permit what I was trying to accomplish. Still working through it but so far so good. It compares 2 versions of the database, source and destination copies and partitions records that are: Identical between copies, different, source only, and destination only. You select or deselect which individual records to syncronize and changes are made to the destination copy.

I'm thinking once the filed going laptops have syncronized with the DB Master copy (Destination) I can simply copy the updated version back onto each laptop.

Here's to wishful thinking!

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:58
I am currently doing a similar thing to you. Using Dropbox.

Head Office is in town and users could be anywhere.

I use Dropbox but can only update when in the office connected to the server.

When away they have the latest version available but con only read records.

Dropbox is not updatable.

Any attempt to merge differing Data will IMHO lead to disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom