Question Microsoft Access can't find the database file (1 Viewer)

Makibird

Local time
Today, 21:12
Hi all

We've just started rolling out a DB in work but we're having some problems implementing it.

Access Runtime 2010 and SP1 are installed on the machines (all running XP). Then the the data sources are set up and the .accde is copied to c:\program files\microsoft office\office14\accwiz.

Last week we rolled it out on some test PCs and everything worked fine.

However, Saturday I did a little flexi time and set it up on the rest. After set up, I could use the database as an administrator. However, none of the normal users on the system can access it. Nothing about it has changed, all the files are still the same. The runtime install file and SP is located on our server - this is copied to each machine before installation.

This is the error we get:

Microsoft Access can't find the database file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ACCWIZ\CONFLICT CHECKER BETA.accde'

Make sure you entered the correct path and file name.

The problem is, I have very little experience with split databases, I am setting this up as our IT manager is on holiday.

Every machine has been set up in exactly the same way, and almost every machine is cloned, so they should be identical - I don't understand why the PCs that have it installed over a week ago work, yet the PCs from this weekend don't. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vicky

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>>Does anyone have any suggestions?<<<

From the desktop machine log in to the server, go to the particular folder where your backend copy of the Microsoft access database is stored and try and create a simple text file. This will indicate if you have a suitable permissions.

Makibird

Local time
Hiya

Thanks for getting back to me. All the folders (including those which do work) are set to Read, Read & Execute and List Folder Contents.

The database is used for searching for client details only, it's not meant to be written to by anyone.

We have at least four different user groups who access it asides from admins. Within each group there are users that can and users that can't access it, despite the fact that all the user permissions should be the exactly the same.

Unfortunately, while our admin is away I can't get into the server to check things from that side.

The only thing that the machines have that differ are updates - anyone who's been away on holiday or worked a late shift has had more windows updates installed than someone who's been in 24/7.

Then again, if that's the case, why would I be able to run the db when logged in as an admin?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:12
The users need create and delete permission also. Otherwise they will not be able to share the database. Access needs to create a lock file when the first user opens the databhase and it uses that to manage updates and contention. When the last user exits the database, Access deletes the lock file. If Access cannot create the lock file for the first user, it opens the database in exclusive mode.

The problem with the BE is it is linked to files on a specific drive and the users don't have consistant drive mappings. The simplest solution is to change the link to use the UNC. So, open the linked tables manager, check the box to always prompt, then instead of using the mapped drives to navigate to the database, type in the path as:
\\yourservername\yourpath
Then select the BE database.

Once the FE is relinked, you will need to distribute this version to everyone or at least to the people who couldn't use the original version.

Makibird

Local time
Thanks for your help guys! For some reason when we were setting the folder permissions, they weren't being inherited by the files. I came into work yesterday (boo) and got them all fixed. Now however, I'm getting a different issue, ODBC call failed when some users attempt to search. Fun fun!

Thanks again for all your help everyone!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:12
The ODBC problem may be caused by inconsistent drive mappings. If the tables are linked to the "F" drive but some users have that mapped as the "g" drive, the link will fail. Change the links to use the UNC convention so the users don't even need to have a drive mapped:
\\servername\path\yourdatabase.accde

Makibird

Local time
Thanks Pat.
All our users have the server mapped to Z:, there are no variations on this. I'm pretty sure the db is set to \\servername not z: anyway.

It was a bit of a weird problem, out of 50+ staff he's the only one who had it and it disappeared after a day. He's one of those users who tends to get weird problems for no reasons anyway, I think he's just jinxed!

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom