Question Runtime access 2010 (1 Viewer)

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:16
I need a beginners tutorial on the use of Runtime - i have access 2010 installed - i think i downloaded and installed access runtime for 2010 - for the life of me i cannot find any references to runtime in access or in windows list of programs. I tried to publish the DB but all i got was a accde extension not the accdr. :banghead:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Runtime is a version of Access with the design capabilities removed. You wouldn't install it on the same PC you have the full version on, you'd install it on PC's that didn't have Access at all so that they could run your application.

I've not used the accdr extension, as I force my few users with the full version of Access into runtime mode with my version control utility with the runtime command line switch. I believe to create an accdr, you just rename a file. From Help:

Change the file name extension of the database file from .accdb to .accdr

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Paul, thank you simple perfect ans - why did Microsoft not say that?
Bill

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help Bill, and welcome to the site by the way!

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Paul, now that, with your help, I have Runtime working but I find it completely useless. I cannot search a Form or Report or sort a Report. What am I missing? If you cannot sort or search my 20,000 records what good is Runtime? why did Microsoft bother?

I think your solution is correct and install Access on my clients PC's at the cost of $140 and change the file extension to accde so they cannot change anything.

Bill :confused:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Most people including myself are grateful for the free alternative. Most of my users have the runtime version. I never rely on built-in sorting or filtering tools anyway, I code it. I can sort or search my millions of records quite easily.

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Paul, I admire your ability to code sorts and searches but i am years from that capability. I guess I could pay you to do it tho. Or pay Microsoft $140 for each customers copy of Access.

Bill

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:16
In order for your application to work with the runtime engine, YOU need to define custom menus/ribbons and provide whatever menu functionality you need since the runtime engine disables all menu/ribbion functionality.

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Pat, When i rename the file to accdr (for runtime) and open it in the Runtime version of Access I cannot do find or sort in the Runtime application. However if I rename the file back to accdb or accde (for the normal Access extension) I get all the search and sort options in Runtime which are available in the full Access product. Runtime just cannot update any records. Can it be as simple as distributing the Access file with the original extension to someone with the Runtime version of Access?

Bill

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Renaming the extension to .accdr is supposed to make the full version of Access act like the runtime. The runtime should not allow right-click menus regardless of the file extension unless you have defined custom versions. You should be able to add the right-click menus back so that they will be available even with the runtime.

Are you sure you have only the runtime engine installed on the PC you are using for testing? From what you are describing, it sounds like you have both installed and the full version is in control.

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Pat, you are correct when i checked the test PC the full version of office was installed and the Runtime version was not in control. Is there a easy way to execute Runtime when the Full version of Access is installed. I could uninstall Office and then reinstall after i finish testing i guess. Will need to find out how to reinstall the search and sort ribbon functions in runtime.

Bill

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
Pat, two more questions
1: can i run Runtime even if i have Access installed on the same PC?
2: When i open a accdr file it does not give me options to customize the ribbon, How do i add the search and sort functions to the ribbon for a accdr extended file?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You have to customize the ribbon in the .accdb. Then create the .accde. And then rename the .accde to .accdr. But remember, you ALWAYS have to go back to the .accdb to make changes so make sure you keep it safe.

There is no reason to have the Runtime and full version both installed but, you should be able to execute one rather than the other by creating a shortcut and specifying the path of the Access version you want to run and then pass in the name of the database you are trying to open.

Running the .accdr forces runtime mode but doesn't force the actual use of the runtime engine.

WLCummings

Registered User.
Local time
OK Pat - thanks for your patience - i feel really stupid - I created a "Custom" ribbon entry in accdb and saved it then created a accde file - all the custom ribbon features I put in worked when i reopened the accde file. Now i renamed the file to accdr and opened the accdr file by double clicking in the file menu (accdr is not an option in the open menu thru Access) and the "custom" functions did not appear in the accdr ribbon. Of course i am not executing the "RunTime" version just the full version of access.

Will Runtime open a accde file?????

Bill -

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Runtime will open any Access database. It will simply not allow access to any built in ribbons/menus or design view. You have to provide an opening form and a custom ribbon to make it functional.

You have to specify the name of your custom ribbon in the Current Database properties. In A2010 - goto File/Options/Current Database

The path is similar in A2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom