Runtime copy not working on Windows XP (1 Viewer)

speedball

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:06
Hello all

I have an Access 2010 front end to a SQL Server 2008 R2 Express database that has been created and worked on using Windows 7. To distribute the front end to other users in my office I've used the 'Make ACCDE' feature and have then saved the front end on other machines that have the Runtime version of Access installed.

This all works fine on other Windows 7 machines, but it doesn't work on Windows XP machines.

I came across this problem a little while ago and found some posts on a couple of forums about this being a known issue and I think that there was a work around. But now that I'm trying to resolve the problem I don't seem to be able to find the same posts that I had seen before!

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I think I recall that one option is to create the ACCDE file on a Windows XP machine running Access 2010, but if possible I'd like to do it all on my Windows 7 machine as I don't have a Windows XP machine with a copy of Access 2010.

Thanks in advance
Speedball

speedball

Registered User.
Local time
Hello AccessMSSQL

Yes, it's Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Thanks
Speedball

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:06
I'm pretty sure the 64-bit version of Office (or any other software) will not run on a 32-bit machine. You could uninstall the 64-bit version of office on your Win 7 PC and install the 32-bit version (they come on the same CD). Even MS recommends sticking with the 32-bit version of Office unless you have some need for humongous Excel workbooks. There is simply nothing to be gained and lots to lose.

speedball

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Pat

I've got 64-bit Windows 7, but I'm using 32-bit Access 2010. The actual version listed in the help section is 14.0.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Speedball

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:06
I use 32 bit Office 2010 on a 64 bit Win7 machine. It will not compile a database that works on XP.

You have no option but to compile on an XP computer if you need it to work on XP.

However Win7 Professional or higher comes with a licence for XP included to support XP mode which is a virtual machine run under Win7. It can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Install Access on the XP mode.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
I don't believe this is anything new.

I once ran Win XP Access 2003, however my client ran Win XP Office 2002.

In order to create an MDE that ran on 2002 I had to complie using Access 2002. I could not do it in 2003.

I don't believe anything has changed in this regard, and there is no work around.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Unfortunately this time it isn't just a matter of compatibility between the Access version that compiles the code and the one that runs it. Normally so long as the Access/runtime version is later than the compiler version then it will be OK because Access will run older version files.

This problem involves Win7 versus XP. A file compiled with Access 2010 on Win7 won't work on XP running the Access 2010 runtime.

RainLover

Local time
Isn't that what I said.

If I didn't then that is what I meant.

You must compile in the environment (Win and Access) that you intend to use.

speedball

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Galaxiom and RainLover.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and a spare PC with Windows XP. I'm pretty sure my Access 2010 license allows me to install a copy on each machine, so I'll go ahead and install a copy on the spare PC.

But sounds like I'm going to have a problem if I switch to Windows 8 whilst the rest of the office stays with XP and 7. I guess I'll then have to buy another copy of Access 2010 so that I can maintain 3 versions!?

Last edited:

RainLover

Local time
Why rush into Win 8.

Give it time to get rid of the bugs.

6 Months at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom