Splitting Database - 'Subscript out of Range' (1 Viewer)

Futures_Bright

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:57
Hi all,

I've just tried splitting my database and the error message 'Subscript out of Range' came up.

This is my first experience of splitting a database, but everything looks okay to me - the back end is saved okay, and the Front End (the original file) is still in place and links to the data in the tables okay.

My guess would be this error came up as some of the tables are links to SharePoint tables (i.e. not actually in the back-end), anyone have any experience of this? Again the data is linked okay, a little slow but I don't believe it is any different to before the split.

Are there any checks I can/should make to ensure the split was clean?

Also, I presume when I move the back end (i.e. when not in test phase) I will need to redirect to those tables, is this right? how would I do this?

Thanks in advance. Kind regards,

Michael

Edit: Further development - I imported all objects to a new database and tried splitting that, the same 'Subscript out of Range' error comes up, the back end is created, however the front end still has all the tables it had before :S

Last edited:

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Hello, before you Split the DB:

Step -1: Try a Compact and Repair
Step -2: Follow a Compile - This might show up some unnoticed Compiler Error.
Step -3: If there are any errors, correct them. Repeat Step 2 until all Errors are sorted.
Step -4: Perform Step 1 again.
Step -5: Try splitting the DB.
Step -6: If success, you are good to go.. If not continue Step -7.
Step -7: Make a BACKUP
Step -8: Perform a Decompile.
Step -9: Repeat Step -2 till Step -6.

Hopefully by now you should be able to Split.. If not, lets see if there is something we can do, with a Dummy version of your File.

Futures_Bright

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there,

Sorry it has taken me an excessive amount of time to respond to this, I wanted to get other items done first and other priorities came up in my job!

I've not been able to compile - presumably because there are already almost 3,000 records in one of the tables. Is the best way to approach this to make a copy of the database without any data (or at least only small tables) and then import once split? Or will this create other problems?

Is the fact that it is currently linked to some SharePoint Libraries a potential source of problem for splitting?

Edit: I wasn't able to split the database until I made a copy with the absolute minimum of data. Unfortunately copying data from the original hasn't completely worked - due to the IDs being autonumber (and some deleted records in each table during testing) the relationships won't match up all the time! Is there a way of copying including the autonumber fields? or other things to try and split the original? Or will I have to bite the bullet and just update all the records in each table to ensure the relationships are as they should be?

Edit2: Bullet bitten, lots of effort but worthwhile! I've now learnt to split databases before any serious data entry :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom