Native Client installed but can't create ODBC connection (1 Viewer)

sjdeetz

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:38
A client added a new server running Windows Server 2012 and wanted me to install SQL Server Express 2012 on it. I performed the upgrade, installed a backup of the SQL Server 2005 database that my Access application uses. There is another Windows Server 2008 r2 on their network with my Access application on it. I downloaded and installed the Native Client 11 driver on this server, went into Administrative Tools and started to create an ODBC connection using the Native Client 11.

When I open the drop down list to select a server neither the windows server nor the sql server instance exist. If I type in the server and/or server and instance the connection fails because the Native Client thinks they do not exist. Is there a setting in the SQL Server Config Manager that needs to be set, a Windows configuration on the Windows Server 2012, or both? :banghead:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 17:38

Attachments

• SQL Linking.png
    SQL Linking.png
    11 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

sjdeetz

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:38
The solution was a bit complicated. I had originally installed the 32 bit version of SQL Server 2012 Express but the Windows Server 2008 r2 would not let me install the 32 bit version of Native Client. Uninstalling the 32 bit version of SQL Server 2012 and installing the 64 bit version was the solution but when uninstalling the 32 bit there are a lot of files for the 32 bit left on the server and in the registry. Wipe them out before installing the 64 bit, or don't make my mistake and get it right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom