access 2007 run time on win8 office 13 (1 Viewer)

yairs

Local time
Today, 08:15
Hi all.
I have an application that includes an accdb file as a front end,that is connected to an mdb file. My client is running it using access 2007 run time.
My question is , can my client install the application on a computer running win8 + office 2013. Currently installing the run time environment yields no results. Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:15
If the user has a newer version of Access, you should not install an older runtime. Convert the database to an .accdb then "compile" it to an .accde. Rename the .accde to .accdr for distribution. The .accdr extension tells Access to pretend to be the runtime engine even when it is actually a full version.

yairs

Local time
Thanks Pat for your quick reply, I want to convert the MDB file as a last option, because it is shared between a lot of users , some of them still using it with access 97 as a front end. Since the users are not always connected to the same lan, each one hold's his own mdb file , and they are marging it when coming together. To make a long story short, the convertion will not be simple. So I would love to go on with my existing 2007 run time, the question is if only Access 2013 causes the problem, or is it office 2013, or maybe windows8.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the Office 2013 install is 64-bit, using your A2007 runtime isn't even an option due to the inability to have office components from both 32 and 64 bit versions co-exist. The A2013 install will be released soon (probably). You would have to use that. Before you go any further find out what version (bit-wise) of Office they are using.

yairs

Local time
He is using the 32bit version of office 2013 on windows 8. Is there any hope to install the access 2007 run time? (He can remove the Access 2013 from the computer).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would not install the runtime for an old version when there was a newer full version installed.

Multiple versions of Access don't play well together. They fight over control of the registry and I wouldn't ever consider opening two apps of different versions at the same time but users are not so cognizant of the potential danger. Since A2013 will run your app, I suggest using it. You might want to rename your file to be yourapp.accdr instead of yourapp.accde. The .accdr tells Access to pretend to be the runtime engine even when the app is opened by a full version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom