Is it possible to run an old app with runtime (Access 2) in Windows 10? (1 Viewer)

kaybeeb

Local time
Today, 05:52
Hi everyone
I am an accountant and a self taught Access programmer. I have written a number of applications many many moons ago using Access 2 and bundled these with a runtime. I have been using these without any problem until Window Vista and subsequent Windows arrived. I tried to convert to later editions of Access (Access 7) by firstly converting to Access 2000 and then Access 7 accdb format but I seem to loose quite a few functionalities, mainly due mistranslation of expressions in queries etc. and also wherever I have used "Event Procedures" in the old access for instance in command buttons, the equivalent VBA statement does not do the same thing. Any suggestions?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:52
Welcome aboard:)
I believe A2.0 is 16-bit and our current hardware is all 64-bit and most software won't make the jump. Problem 2 is that Access 2.0 used Access Basic and that was replaced with VBA in Access 95/97. This requires certain code changes. To do this conversion, I would do it in steps.
1. Make sure the app complies cleanly in A2.0
2. Convert to A95.
3. Fix compile errors. Disambiguate any DAO/ADO code because A2003 which is your next step defaults to having the ADO library first and that will cause considerable problems. To get past this use DAO.Database, DAO.TableDef, DAO.Querydef, etc. for ALL DAO objects. None of your code probably uses ADO anyway.
4. Test and fix SQL queries.
5. Convert to A2003.
6. Fix compile errors.
7. Convert to A2007/A2010/A2013
8. Fix compile errors
9. Test everything.

Since you are distributing with the Runtime, I would use the newest version possible and A2013 runtime was recently released. As versions age, it becomes more and more difficult to find the files. I'm not even sure you can download the A2007 runtime from the Access downloads site any more.

I recently converted an A2.0 application for a client and it was a royal PITA. For starters, I couldn't even install A2.0 on any of my PCs because they were all 64-bit vista or newer so I had to install A95 on the client's old PC and do the first conversion step there.

kaybeeb

Local time
Today, 05:52
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply to my query, very kind. I shall take your advice on board.
Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom