Disable or Hide Minimise, Restore and Close Window buttons on a form (1 Viewer)

Pauline123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:23
Hi all, I know this is a common question to ask but I can't seem to find a solution. I need to disable or hide the restore, minimise and close window buttons found in the top right hand corner of a form.

I navigation buttons that controls open, close etc already set up.

Can anyone give me some pointers please.

Many thanks

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:23
Set form/report properties:

MinMaxButton
Closebutton

Gibraltar102

Local time
Today, 06:23
Hi there!
In the form properties, you have the following individual properties you can set...

Control Box (Yes & No)
Navigation Buttons (Yes & No)
Close Button (Yes & No)
Min Max Buttons (Yes & no)

You might also want to set the following...

Moveable (Yes & No)
Auto Center (Yes & No)
Modal (Yes & No) - This is in the "Other" section of the properties.

Check out the rest of the properties in a test form to see if the result helps you produce the form you like!

Alan (Gibraltar)

Pauline123

Registered User.
Local time
Hi thanks for this but have already tried these options -the minimise and close window is disabled but the restore icon remains showing usable.

I need to disable all three to stop users from gaining access to the other forms, tables etc within the database.

I know you can write coding via code builder but I have only found coding to disable the Close Database (X) button which is not what I need.

I should say that I am using Access 2003.

Does anyone else have anything that I can use.

Many thanks - Pauline

Last edited:

Pauline123

Registered User.
Local time
Hey if anyone is interested I found a neat way around this problem (for multiusers who have no or limited access knowledge) I just hid the Navigation pain / display pane window - that way if the user minimises or closes any form window they cannot have access to any other tables etc etc - you must have a switchboard form window for this to work. Have pasted below how to do in access 2003 and 2007:
Control the display of the Database window in 2003
You can change the settings that determine whether the Database window (Database window: In Access 2003 and earlier, the window that appears when a database or project is opened.
1. On the Tools menu, click Startup.
2. Do one or more of the following:
To display or hide the Database window when a Microsoft Access database (Microsoft Access database: A collection of data and objects (such as tables, queries, or forms) that is related to a particular topic or purpose.) or Microsoft Access project (Microsoft Access project: An Access file that connects to a Microsoft SQL Server database and is used to create client/server applications. A project file doesn't contain any data or data-definition-based objects, such as tables and views.) opens, clear or select the Display Database Window check box.
To prevent or allow users from displaying the Database window by pressing F11, clear or select the Use Access Special Keys check box.
3. If you have cleared both the Use Access Special Keys check box and the Display Database Window check box, replace the File menu with your own custom menu. This prevents the Database window from appearing when users repeatedly open the same Access file from the list of most recently used files.
Notes
· Changes to these settings in the Startup dialog box won't take effect until the next time the Access file is opened.
· The Northwind sample database has a Main Switchboard form — an example of a form you might use to control navigation in your Access file. To view this form, open the Northwind database in your Microsoft Office folder's Samples folder. Click Forms under Objects in the Database window, click Main Switchboard, and then click the Open button on the Database window toolbar.
· To unset enter login to database to main switchboard – go into design view then select tools, startup window – “tick”the display database window then click ok – close then re-open database to restore view.

Prevent the Navigation Pane from appearing when you open a database 2007
1. Open the database.
2. Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Access Options.
3. Click the Current Database category, and under Navigation, clear the Display Navigation Pane check box.
4. Click OK. You must close and reopen the database to see the effects of the option.
Note We do not recommend hiding the Navigation Pane unless the database employs a screen such as a switchboard (a form with buttons or links that enable you to navigate around the database) or uses another method for opening the objects in the database.
If any of your users have knowledge or you want a more secure system then I don't recommend using this method but for my needs it will work perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom