Autofill forms? (1 Viewer)

Venus

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:25
I've made a student database and I'm creating a form for entering new student records. I have combo boxes set up with the different choices for major, minor, year, etc. Is it possible for these fields to have an autocomplete option? For example, there are about 30 different subjects that students can choose for a major, so rather than having to look for it in the drop down menu, could the person entering the data just start typing "ant" and have it automatically fill with "anthropology" for example?

I should also mention that the reason I made these fields into combo boxes is because I built SQL in the row source so that it is bound to the primary key but displays the description instead (with the column widths set to 0; 1).

micks55

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:25
Seems a little odd. When a combo has the values Red Blue Yellow Brown. Then Y enterkey would return Yellow. BL,enterkey would result in blue and BR,enterkey would find Brown.
I agree with Burrina, Allen's "Find as you type" is a clever and elegant solution. It uses a text control rather than a combo but it does have a down side. If your working with a large table, have a number of users and the back end is on a server then there will be time delays because each keypress triggers a full requery.
You could modify Allen's method and put the code in the text box Afterupdate rather than in the Change event. That way the search and requery happens only once but you won't be "finding as you type".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom