Group Sample Databases (1 Viewer)

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:46
I sure would like to see all of the sample databases organized by category.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:46

The 1st step would be to define and agree the groups, then list the Samples that should be allocated to those groups.

Post that info here and you will be a step closer to it happening.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:46
Okay ,here is my Category Suggestions,

Addins
Audio
Alerts,Status & Messages
Application Timeouts
Auditing
Autonumbering
Colors & Graphics
Controls
Currency
Database Management
Date & Time
Email
Errors
Excel Automation
File & Disk Operations
Forms
Games
Maps,Geo & Postl
Medical
Menus, Toolbars & Ribbons
Microsoft Excel
MySql
Navigation
Networks
Numbers & Calculations
Oracle
PDF
Powerpoint
Queries & SQL
Records & Data
References
Registry
Replication
Reports & Printing
RSS
Scheduling
Screen,Mouse & Keys
Searching
Security
Shift Key
SMS
SQL Server
String & Text
Tables and Fields
Timers
Users
VBA
VBEIDE
Word Automation
Zip Files
Uncategorized

Last edited by a moderator:

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 20:46

I think I could give this my support.

First you would have to create a Database that has all the names and descriptions etc of the current examples in it.

Categorise it and have links so that if I want a Sample Database on Forms I search forms and come up with all the possible links.

This would be a big job and would need regular updating when something new is added. This would not upset anyone who would prefer the current system as the current system would stay the same.

If you want to take this project on you would be best getting Management approval first.

You would need to do up a more meaningful spec, and you would also have to bear the load of writing this.

Attached is a Database that would help. If you have problems let me know.

I admire you for volunteering to take on this task.

Attachments

• WhereIs.zip
    155.3 KB · Views: 152

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Rain, I like the idea of a separate DB, it could be hosted in a thread, and maintained by everyone.

I looked at the Thread source:- view-source:http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

and I note:- HTML contains the Thread Title:-

Code:
<a href="showthread.php?t=249211" id="thread_title_249211">Move multiple attachments from one table to another</a>

Would it be possible for the DB to run code to extract the title along with the URL? I think it's possible, but have never done it.

RainLover

Local time
Dearest Uncle

Would it be possible for the DB to run code to extract the title along with the URL? I think it's possible, but have never done it.
I am not with you. Except you like the DB idea and you want Fries with that. Why do you want fries when you have the link which takes you to where you want to go. (Fries = Title)

Are far as Maintenance is concerned I would have to agree that a couple of thousand people given the keys to the car would not scratch it at all. (Car = Database Data)

Am I being naughty. (Stupid question. Of course I am. And disrespectful too. I will stand in the corner for a while)

Please just reply on the important stuff that came out of your post. (Idiot. That was a loaded question)

The Idea of the Database is more like a Search Engine. This could be done in Excel if we wanted. The problem that the OP so correctly raises is that you can't find anything from a few years ago. I had a look for my own stuff and could not find it. I did not know which forum to even start looking at. There is another Forum who have moved to a WIKI situation. I assume they decided that they were having similar problems.

This member Burrina needs a pat on the back for coming up with what is obvious. His idea has merit. So now there are three of us who are on side.

If only we could get a Moderator to run with the cause. His/Her name would go down in history and would forever be know as the Super Mod who got the nod.

I will get down off my box now. Burrina thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I don't think you are naughty or disrespectful, a bit thick may be.

The sample forum has loads of "Samples" which consist of a title and a link.

Add these to a DB and then it's a simple matter to provide them with some grouping criteria, might be a bit arbitrary, hence it would be good to allow each item to be in many groups.

The hard part, filling the DB with the Titles and links, I think it is possible to screen scrape this operation. Otherwise someone is going to have to do it manually....

RainLover

Local time
Thick hey.

As a Brick I guess.

I now think you want to suck into a new Database the Link and the Title. A good idea.

The Database I posted may need some refinement but it would certainly accept both and I cannot see any reason why this info could not be sucked out of the AWF Database.

The Database I posted has the ability to search by keyword as well. But then there are other solutions.

So Mr. Moderator what do we do now.? Any ideas.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
So Mr. Moderator what do we do now.? Any ideas.

TØny, Tony, Unc, Uncle, Giz, are better. But please don't call me late for dinner.

The beauty of a separate db is that it does not require moderator time and effort. In other words, I think the community should control and manage it for the benefit of the community.

Secondly, a separate db allows for a group approach, anyone can apply their particular expertise for the good of the community as a whole.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I don't think creating a separate db based on community information would impinge on the site owners rights, however it would be respectful to ask Jon for his views before expending a lot of time and trouble on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom