Open subform to specific records based of off input from combo boxes (1 Viewer)

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:28
I need to open up a form to specific records in its subform based on user input from combo boxes (Customer and/or PKGEngineer). The two combo boxes are on a switchboard. How can this be done?
Thank you.
Using:
Win 7
Access 2010

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:28
Do you mean a subform as the normal subform hosted on a main form by agency of a subform/subreport control, or something else?

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, it's a subform created by subform/subreport control and placed in the detail section of another form.

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for the cross post. I did not know. This is the original post.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
1) Is the switchboard a separate form?
2) Is the subform in form, datasheet or continuous view?

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Again sorry for cross posting. This is the original post and this is a link to the cross post.
And Uncle Gizmo I forgot to thank you for replying to my post.

Okay. The Switchboard is a separate form. And the subform is in datasheet view.
I've attached screenshots to help explain better.
Right now on the switchboard you will eventually have to scroll through many records to get to the record you want and click the "open form" button to open the form with the subform filtered to those records. What I want to do is get rid of all list of records on the switchboard and just have to combo boxes (Customer and PKGEngineer) and a "open form" button to open the form with the subform to those records. Am I explaining this properly?

Attachments

• Switchboard.PNG
    Switchboard.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 249
  • main form with subform.PNG
    main form with subform.PNG
    66.7 KB · Views: 167

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Ah! I see >>> (Customer and/or PKGEngineer)<<<

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Yes...if I'm understanding you correctly. So on the Switchboard you would select from two combo boxes and they would correspond to the combo’s on the form with the subform. Sorry if I’m repeating myself, just want to make sure I’m explaining this properly.

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry took to long to respond to your other post and didn't see post #11. Never thought of all combos empty. One or both should always be selected or there is use going to the other form. But I guess if they are left empty then all record would be shown.

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
The more I think about it, both combo's should not be left empty. They whole point of doing this is to filter the records to only show the one's selected by one or both combos.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
For clarity as my previous interrogation was lacking in exactness...

In this Image:- http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55145&d=1407357071

The data entry points:

Programme
Model Year
Annual usage
Customer
PKG Engineer

1) Are empty when the form is opened and the form returns a full set of records?

2) And when the form above is opened from this one:-
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55144&d=1407357058
you want only the values from Customer and/or PKGEngineer passed in to it?

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
When the "Program Customer Model Year form" (sorry for horrible naming convention) is opened from the navigation pane, it opens to the first record from that table "Program Customer ModelYear". And the subform displays all records associated with those combos (with Program, Customer and Model Year being the links). The records that populate the subform come from another table.
But to answer your second question: Yes I would like to only have Customer and/or PKGEngineer pass values to the Program Customer ModelYear form. Would it be easier for me to post the db?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>>Would it be easier for me to post the db<<<

Yes .. If would save me the trouble of creating a mockup... I need A2007 Version...

I don't need the whole DB just the relevant forms and some sample data...

BTW you might find it easier to create your own mock up, sometimes is easier than deleting to create a sample DB.

Don't forget to make a backup!

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Again, I’m too slow on my response. You are really fast!
Okay so replying to two post:
Post #16 reply:
Right now the way I have it set up, with the different tabs for different car lines is not the way it will be once I have it with just the two combos. I have it set up that way bc I was originally thinking that was a way I was going to filter. But instead I think using the two combo boxes, Customer and PKGEngineer is a better, cleaner way. So please disregard the tabs with all the car lines in them. Once I have it set up with just the two combos I will do away with all the tabs for the different customers bc that’s what the combos will represent.
Post #18 reply:
The db is in .mdb format. I think 2002-2003 file format. Will that work? Also, I’m not sure how to make a mock up? How do I post just the relevant forms and not the whole db?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>>Again, I’m too slow on my response. You are really fast<<<

I want to get to bed, but keep getting drawn back in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom