Question two versions on same machine (1 Viewer)

dmcdivitt

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:16
I have to use both access 2000 and 2010. If 2000 was used last, when 2010 starts it does an install. The install doesn't take long, but it's a nuisance. It's more than just which version owns the mdb file extension. Other registry info is involved. When on an XP machine and I had this problem I did trial and error, saving registry keys. Prior to invoking whichever version I would click on a registry file, first. How do other people resolve this issue?

For switching between access 97 and 2000 I wrote a program and registered all the file types to that program. It would open the file first, examine it, then invoke whatever version accordingly. I could do something similar now, but would need to write registry values first. I don't want to do the trail and error again and am wondering if someone else already has something. Thanks

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 04:16
Considered a virtual machine for one of the two versions?

dmcdivitt

Registered User.
Local time
I remote into an XP machine occasionally for access 97. Remoting into a machine takes longer than the install for 2010, so I'll stick with that. After seeing what registry keys need to be saved, I will post to this thread.

dmcdivitt

Registered User.
Local time
Exported the following keys with 2000 active:

HKLM\Access.Application.9, HKLM/Access.Application, HKLM\Access.MDBFile, HKLM\Access.MDEFile.9, HKLM\.mdb, HKLM\.mde, HKLM\CLSID\.{73A4C9C1-D68D-11D0-98BF-00A0C90DC8D9}

Exported the following keys with 2010 active:

HKLM\Access.Application.14, HKLM\Access.Application, HKLM\Access.MDBFile, HKLM\Access.MDEFile.14, HKLM\.mdb, HKLM\.mde, HKLM\CLSID\.{73A4C9C1-D68D-11D0-98BF-00A0C90DC8D9}

These were pasted into a 2000.reg file and 2010.reg file. Clicking the reg file before opening whichever version works perfectly and no install occurs. There are of course other file types common between the two which need to be exported as well, but for the most part this serves my need. This is completely safe so long as all values in each set are loaded. The values never change between installs or updates. The class key was the same for each version, not being used the same way by 2000, but should be exported for each anyway. These can easily be incorporated into a launching utility that interrogates files prior to opening, writes the registry, then opens the correct exe.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 04:16
Very impressive that you cracked this - this is way beyond me, and I presume beyond 95 % of the readers!

dmcdivitt

Registered User.
Local time
Attached is a vbscript to create a registry file for the active version of access. Save the file and rename the extension to .vbs.

Attachments

• export_access_reg.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 177

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:16
Hi - so whould it be possible to force Windows to open an accde file with Access 2010 (Runtime) in case different Access versions are installed? Could you guys help?
Thanks, Frank

dmcdivitt

Registered User.
Local time
You will need to download the registry files and add what additional file name extensions needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom