Problem With a Split Database in a Shared Folder (1 Viewer)

NoSmoke

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:31
I have recently been experimenting with adding an Access database to a shared folder (in a network HomeGroup) and have it working on two networked PCs. Then tried the same with the database split but I get a path error on the PC joined to the HomeGroup (where the database resides) whenever the backend (tables) are accessed by a form or from the Tables listing. If I however open the backend file directly from the file directory, the tables all open as expected.

The path stated as being invalid in the error message starts with "C:\Users\etc..... instead of \\LAF-PC\Users\etc..... so it looks (to me at least) that it is attempting to load the file from the local hard drive rather than the host computer.

I don't know if I've explained that in a comprehensible manner but would appreciate any hints as to why a split database works differently in this situation than a non-split.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:31
Manually link the foreign tables and check the linked path with what you have. You undoubtedly are specifying an incorrect path.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 09:31
The path to the backend tables is hardwired in the front end. If the path is differnet at some other location (as it is in your case) then you need to relink from that location. Alternatively, you need to specify UNC paths for the linked tables.

NoSmoke

Registered User.
Local time
The path to the backend tables is hardwired in the front end. If the path is differnet at some other location (as it is in your case) then you need to relink from that location. Alternatively, you need to specify UNC paths for the linked tables.

Yes, I did not specify any path to the backend - it came as is.

Will look into how to relink the tables (I've not worked with split databases before so this is all new to me). Thank you for the help. :)

Still not clear though on why the path to the back end should be different than to the front end since I have them both on the Home Group computer.

NoSmoke

Registered User.
Local time
OK, ran Linked Table manager on the user computer and it worked. Many thanks for the assistance...

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:31
OK, ran Linked Table manager on the user computer and it worked. Many thanks for the assistance...
Keep in mind that every user should have a copy of the front end on their own machine, linked to the single back end on the shared drive.

NoSmoke

Registered User.
Local time
Keep in mind that every user should have a copy of the front end on their own machine, linked to the single back end on the shared drive.

The single back end on the shared drive I understand but not sure why the user machines each need to have a copy of the front end except that it will (may?) reduce network traffic load. I was thinking of going with a split database so that the users could access a .accde front end and thereby be precluded from design mode. However, if the .accde exists only on the shared drive, I would not have to update each user machine each time a program change is made.

I'm probably missing something here - any further comment would be appreciated.

BigHappyDaddy

Coding Monkey Wanna-Be
Local time
Today, 00:31
...it will (may?) reduce network traffic load.

Yes, among other things. It can also reduce the data corruption resulting from multiple users in the same shared front end. If each user has their own copy of the front end, nearly all of these data corruption issues are elminated, if not reduced.

And there are examples of AutoUpdaters in this forum. Search on "AutoUploader"

NoSmoke

Registered User.
Local time
Data corruption?? Well, wasn't expecting that. I realize one can cancel another's record modifications if both are modifying the same record at the same time but I suspect you are referring to other types of corruption(?) as I still get the same Write Conflict warning message when the front end resides on the user(s) machine.

Any other info on said data corruption would be appreciated. In the meantime, thank you for the AutoUploader tip.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:31
one practical problem with multiple users sharing a single database, is that if you make use of data in tables within the single database, then users will interfere with each other.

although MS allows you to share a database (unlike excel, where you get the read-only message), empirical evidence is that it is safer not to do so.

If you still want to share a database, then try it. Make sure you have a safe copy, and back up your data regularly.

NoSmoke

Registered User.
Local time
Nah, I'm not a dare-devil. In my searching for AutoUpdaters BTW, I noticed other relevant comments on the topic such as network glitches pooching an un-split shared database.

I thank you for your words of caution and will act as advised. :)

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 09:31
@jdcallejas: you seem to have kidnapped someone elses already solved thread, which is rather confusing. Delete your post, start a new thread and link to this one, if this one contains anything relevant for your problem (not immediately obvious).

jdcallejas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:31
Sorry about it spikepl,

I have tried everything I have seen here, I have connected two PC via crossover cables even that I have a fast netwrok, I tried to share the forms on a shared folder with the database splitted, I relink, and relink the tables and get the same error NoSmoke got, "invalid path" I keep getting the same negative results.

I have followed step by step instructions " http://www.access-experts.com/\default.aspx?selection=TutorialSplitDB&sm=18 "

What is happening? I really dont know.... I done this before back in 2000, Access created both BE and FE from what I remember, I linked the tables and put FE on PCs linked to tables and all worked with no problems.

Well its almost 3am here, I have been testing since 7pm with no results. Time to give it a rest..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom