Look Up Wizard Displays Numerical Value Instead of Text (1 Viewer)

Hokie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:32
Hello,
I am having some problem regarding the way the options in a lookup field is displayed. Currently the options are displayed numerically instead of displaying the actual text.
I have three tables which are ContactPersonnelT, OrganizationT and TrainingDonorT.
One of the fields in the ContactPersonnelT table is, ‘Affiliation’. This field is a lookup value (look up wizard) which comes from the OrganizationT table field, ‘OrganizationName’.
In the TrainingDonorT table I have a field called, ‘ContactPersonnel’. This field is a lookup value which comes from the ContactPersonnelT table field, ‘ContactPersonName’. In the drop down list of the ‘ContactPersonnel’, besides the ‘ContactPersonName’ I also want to display the ‘Affiliation’ field. However, instead of displaying the text in the ‘OrganizationName’ field, a numerical value is showing.
It will be very kind of you if you assist me by showing how to change the display to text instead of the numerical value. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Practice.accdb
    512 KB · Views: 103

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:32
You are using lookups on the table level, in general this is a bad idea... let me repeat that...
Bad idea.....

Let me stress that, BAD IDEA
Suggest you read this: http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

The general idea indeed is that you store numbers and use queries/forms to lookup the data for you

Hokie

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I understand it is a bad idea. Please suggest what should I do now. Thank you.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:32
"Lookup tables" are tables that are only used for looking up information and tend to be static (in that they do not change much or at all during the lifetime of the database).

Examples of lookup or reference tables in many applications include:
country tables (which list country names and possibly the ISO 2 and 3 letter codes) and
currency name tables and language tables

see these links for related tables
ISO 3166-2 alpha country codes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2#Officially_assigned_code_elements
Library of Congress Language table http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php

These are used for looking up data for display purposes and normally have not other purpose (usually just an ID column and a column for the data). It is often used to ensure consistent spelling of text.

Good luck

Hokie

Registered User.
Local time
The problem is that in my table for the Affiliation field, the OrganizationID field is being displayed instead of the OrganizationName. How do I get around with this problem?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:32
Did you look at the link that namliam suggested to you?

Do NOT use lookups in Table fields. Bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom